Scope seems to have gone bad, am i missing anything?

The one thing in your list I didn't do is put the suspected problem scope on another rifle. I don't think that step is entirely necessary since I was able to get this rifle to shoot good on multiple groups with a different scope, but tell me if I'm missing something.
You are on the right track. Send it in. Scopes have problems, and no matter who built it. I generally find that the groups move during the course of the day at the range. Noting the groups have moved up down or left or right. and both ways at the same time.

Can you see a broken crosshhair inside...I was sighting a 300 wby for a guy..he couldnt get it shoot well..had wounded a nice muley buck and was ready to put that sako 300 wby up for sell....
I took it to the tire range..first shot was very close..second right there also...third shot 4" away.....after a series of identical patterns I knew something was very screwy......pointed the muzzle at the sun..and looked into scope from the objective side....that's where i could see the broken crosshair.......put a new scope on it..sighted it..he killed his biggest buck that season...231" non-typical oregon muley.......then he got killed in a freak snow mobile accident.......
Shiite happens.....
That is a crazy story, I was loving the happy ending until...

No broken crosshair, it's laser etched glass.

Thanks all, I appreciate all who chimed in. I called and talked to the main man in charge of repairs, he said he'd most likely be the one to take a look and try to fix it, if he can't fix it he'll send me a new one which unfortunately will have to be a different model since mine is MD, so I'm hoping for a repair because I like my model better, haha. Anyways, I got it boxed up and dropped off. Will try to remember to update you all with the results.

Had a rifle that went from shooting 1/2" or less groups consistently, to literally the next range trip shooting at best 1" groups and a few as big as 5", average 2-3". I first re-torqued everything, rail, rings, action, and then cleaned the barrel very well. After doing that I had an okay group, still around an inch which is disappointing with this rifle. I then put on a new scope and shot the groups in the first 2 pictures, then I put the original scope back on and shot the group in the last picture. Am I missing anything? Or do I just need to get the scope sent in?

View attachment 354526View attachment 354527View attachment 354528
I see a group walking from left to right ( or right to left ) with a commensurate change in elevation each shot. This suggest to me something recoil related in the scope.

Question? Are you shooting suppressed? Braked? or bare?
If you are shooting suppressed I would check and made sure your can is tight, just the tiny's looseness will send you shot of just like you are experiencing because of the harmonic it creates. Ask me how I know.!!! Also somethings when your shooting and your not being your best you have the tendency to put more check pressure on the stock and this can open up your groups as well.

Last edited:
Question? Are you shooting suppressed? Breaked? or bare?
If you are shooting suppressed I would check and made sure your can is tight, just the tiny's looseness will send you shot of just like you are experiencing because of the harmonic it creates. Ask me how I know.!!! Also somethings when your shooting and your not being your best you have the tendency to put more check pressure on the stock and this can open up your groups as well.
Fair point, it's a brake, and I did make sure it was tight. As far as shooting my best, I hear that, and believe me I've considered the possibility, but when I have good groups in the same shooting session from the same rifle, then i don't think it's me.