scope rings

bob4

I've noticed in hunting for a new to me scope that everyone talks about ring marks. Is there more than an aesthetic problem with this?

I suspect wiser minds than mine will chime in, but I find slight ring marks to be aesthetic. More significant ring marks might indicate over torque, mis-aligned rings, or other badness that could compromise the tube or mess up lense alignment. Seems to me most rings, unless lapped to perfection or lined like the Burris signature rings leave some evidence they were there.

I suspect wiser minds than mine will chime in, but I find slight ring marks to be aesthetic. More significant ring marks might indicate over torque, mis-aligned rings, or other badness that could compromise the tube or mess up lense alignment. Seems to me most rings, unless lapped to perfection or lined like the Burris signature rings leave some evidence they were there.

x2... but not all rings need to be lapped, though it is wise to check any and all rings before mounting. Over torque is probably the #1 culprit, using a torque wrench and torque to 15in/lbs. Once you realize how light 15in/lbs is you will then know why and how over torquing comes about, as you will also realize you've been over torquing the entire time.

Better?

Last edited:
So when most are talking about ring marks we're speaking of dents more than scratches or rub marks? Or is it to be interpreted :rolleyes:

So when most are talking about ring marks we're speaking of dents more than scratches or rub marks? Or is it to be interpreted :rolleyes:

This is extreme but something like this (IIRC, the rings were lapped); this was on the classified ads here before (hopefully, the seller chimes in) ...

Attachments

• 20150209_080044.jpg
    20150209_080044.jpg
    242.5 KB · Views: 47
This is extreme but something like this (IIRC, the rings were lapped); this was on the classified ads here before (hopefully, the seller chimes in) ...

Doesn't look as bad as it seems. Looks like the lapping compound wasn't cleaned off the rings good enough.

Ring marks can range from cosmetic to damaging the scope's functions. Just comes down to questioning the seller as to their extent.

Doesn't look as bad as it seems. Looks like the lapping compound wasn't cleaned off the rings good enough.

Ring marks can range from cosmetic to damaging the scope's functions. Just comes down to questioning the seller as to their extent.

I didn't say it was bad just extreme as per his query ...

This is a scope I have for sale on here and the rings have been lapped and tighten to 17lbs and I still have slight marks on each side of scope. This was only on rifle for 1 month. So if you find something you like with small marks and no dents then I think your good to go.

Attachments

• IMG_1381.jpg
    IMG_1381.jpg
    157.5 KB · Views: 82
  • IMG_1382.jpg
    IMG_1382.jpg
    154.1 KB · Views: 71
Warning! This thread is more than 9 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.