Scope rings: steel vs aluminum vs alloy

klee

Does anyone have a preference of scope ring material, namely steel vs aluminum or some of the alloy rings. I'm getting ready to order some quality rings and a base, either Seekins, Badger or Ken Farrell (matched base and rings). My scope weighs 35 ozs. and I'm shooting a 7mm rem mag without a muzzel brake. I would like to reduce my weight but not at the sacrifice of strength and long life of rings and scope. Any opinions?

Klee

Klee, I have been using TPS Aluminum rings and really like them. You can take a look at them at the LRH Gear Shop. On my 300 RUM, I have a set of these along with the Aluminum one piece 20 MOA base and no issues whatsoever. My rings on this are low, and I would suggest the extra low if you went in that direction. On another, I have a Ken Farrel 20 MOA steel base and have been using the same TPS rings but they don't line up as good as far as the overall height is concerned. The Farrel base is very nice, but it is on the taller side. Haven't tried the Farrel rings with it, but would imagine that they would be much lower to line up correctly. My plan is to change the Farrel base for another TPS so I can keep both of these guns the same or very similiar.

Another option I've heard spoken of is the EGW base and Burris signature and XTR rings. A lot of guys like them as well but I haven't tried them yet.

You will get other opinions on this and of the steel rings. I would assume that they are stronger, but not sure how much. I chose aluminum for the weight savings and have seen any reason to deviate from this. Good luck.

I use the 4 screw 7075 alloy rings for everything from sporters to competition rifles. Light and tough.

You may want to check out the NF Ultralite Rings available in 5 heights from .885 to 1.375 along with their steel bases.

I use the steel 20moa base and steel rings from TPS. I guess I am willing to live with the extra weight when I know that those steel mounts will be there.

Feenix, I went to Murphy's and on scope rings it says products coming soon. Are they refering to web page being updated w/pic and info soon or do the rings actually not exist yet?

I have moved from Burris signature rings to the XTR rings, I now have 4 sets on various rifles & don't plan to use anything else. I am having extremely good luck with them; last set up was with Badger 20moa base on a custom .338 RUM, good fit & holds great; I don't think you will be disappointed if you choose the XTR's.

I would regard Near MFG and Murphy Precision as the finest bases you can buy.

Seekins can make you a base that ties into a recoil lug which is unique. His products are in great demand, and so are sometime hard to come by.

Farrel makes very high quality base/rings, however Farrel bases are a smidge taller than others, so this may present a cheek weld issue depending on your specific application (base MOA, scope objective, non adjustable cheek, etc).

An EGW base/rings enabled a 1K++ yd successful shot this year on one of my rifles; they represent a very good value in base/rings.

Aluminum will save you some weight. Steel will be stronger. Titanium will be pricey:)

In summary, hard to go wrong with either Murphy, Near, Seekins, Farrell or EGW, in my opinion. (These are just the names I have experience with)

I have been on the road and away from my computer for several days. I'm going to look into all these brands mentioned. My shooting buddy and I are each getting different 34mm tubed scopes. His is the Nightforce on a Sako and I just pulled my Premier 3-15 out of the box last night for my Browning. So we are both trying to figure out the ring situation. This is a huge help to both of us, cause what looked to be something as simple as buying rings didn't really turn out that way.

As I said to my buddy when we decided to go for long range precision shooting, Man have we opened up a can of worms. But that's okay, we're getting the shooting range built and a bunch of other guys are joining in so it's a good can of worms. So far everyone has different scopes and calibers from 338 lupa to 7mm rem mag.

Klee

Let us know what rings you guys decide on amd also once the range is complete some pics would be nice.

You got it. It won't be much, just a couple of steel plates and posts out in the sage brush. The interesting part is the shooting hut. I believe its about a late 60's Van with the side doors open, the spotter sits on top and the "go cart" to go check the targets is a Russian made tractor.

Klee

Warning! This thread is more than 4 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.