Scope-Ring question?

BenY 2013

Ok sorry for all the questions but here's another! I ordered a WOTAC 4-14x50 scope with TPS Low rings and a 20 moa weaver base. My question is with the Low rings and the 50mm objective will it clear the barrel? The rings should be a bit higher with the base right will that help? I asked SWFA and they said "couldn't determine without the setup in front of them". I can send the rings back IF I don't mount them they said, so I don't know what to do....I need some help please! Thank you!

Ok sorry for all the questions but here's another! I ordered a WOTAC 4-14x50 scope with TPS Low rings and a 20 moa weaver base. My question is with the Low rings and the 50mm objective will it clear the barrel? The rings should be a bit higher with the base right will that help? I asked SWFA and they said "couldn't determine without the setup in front of them". I can send the rings back IF I don't mount them they said, so I don't know what to do....I need some help please! Thank you!

Rain barrel or oil barrel? It would help to know all the info. I use duck tape, and cardboard under the scope to shim it to the height I like. Measure and then order rings. Takes 1/2 hour but I get exactly what fits me this way.

The clearance off the rifle just determines the minimum ring height. What's important is that your eye lines up with the scope with your face comfortably laying against the stock for a good cheek weld.
No one can tell you what rings YOU need since they don't have your face handy to measure. Putting the scope closer to the rifle is not necessarily better. Scope height affects point blank range, canting sensitivity, and several other things

Since you've already ordered the parts wait till you get them and see if you screwed up. Most people find a way to hold the scope in place to determine what's right. I bought several sets of cheap Chinese aluminum rings just to hold scopes when testing for the right height. Cardboard and tape will work if the scope doesn't fall off and lands on the floor. Dropping kills many more scopes than recoil.

Last edited:
Most scope and ring web sites have the dimensions for there products,all it takes is a little math and you can figure out what you need to order

Everything came in today and it does all fit with plenty of room left over, thanks for all the help! Gotta bed the rifle and get everything mounted then I'll be showin pics of this beast:D

Warning! This thread is more than 13 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.