Scope Reticle Question

azcouesandelk

I am going to be ordering a new scope for my rifle here in the next week or so and will be going with a Leupold Mark 4 4.5-14x40 LR/T. My question is, is there a noticeable difference between the Fine Duplex and the regular Duplex reticles on the crosshairs themselves or is it only on the post? I am planning on getting a Kenton Turret after I get a load I like for the gun and plan on shooting 600 plus yards. I am mainly going to be hunting coues deer so with a small target I am going to want the thinnest crosshairs as possible.

Thanks
Christian Wolff

If you want fine and to shoot 600 yards, I would recomend the Leupold TMR reticle. The center crosshairs do not come together offering you the ability to see a small aiming spot through the reticle. So when you want to focus on a small tuft of hair behind the shoulder, you can.

I just harvested my first coues buck a few weeks ago in AZ. I understand what you mean about 'small' targets.

M

The Leupold Mark 4 4.5-14x40 LR/T only comes in duplex and mil-dot standard.

For what its worth, I just went through the same thing. Under some circumstances, ie: low light, dark area around target ect, I sometimes had a difficult time clearly seeing the fine duplex, especially at dusk/dawn times. I recently sent mine back to Leupold and had the standard duplex installed, much happier. I have the 6.5x20 and around the house and such the deer we shoot are small statured black tails. The fine is for sure just that. You might also try going to a large sporting goods store and comparing the two up against the various animals climbing along the walls to see what you prefer.

Warning! This thread is more than 15 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.