Scope rec's for 2 rifles

SumTingWong

I just picked up a Tikka T3X Superlite in 270 Win, and a Weatherby Vanguard in 300 Win Mag.
Gonna be using the Tikka for deer, or plains game, and the Weatherby for Elk, or similar sized game.

I'd like to stay in $1k to 1,500 range for each scope. I will most likely limit live target shooting to 400, and range shooting to 500.

Is the VX5 3-15x44 too much mag?
Any other options in that price range?

I have a Steiner on my .308, and the eye box is really small.
I'd love something with more forgiveness in that area, and perhaps a slightly enhanced eye relief so as not to get an intersection of eyebrow and scope with the 300 WM.

Take a look at the GPO Passion 6X 2.5-15x50i - G4i which we just put on promo, reduced from $1,349.99 to only $999.99
  • Super-zoom 6X technology
  • iControl™ illumination options
  • Massive lenses assure optical excellence
  • 30mm main tube
  • GPObright™ lens coating technology
  • PassionTrac™ quick-zero target turrets
  • Double HD Objective glass

In my opinion 3-15x44 is the perfect option for an all around hunting scope. While the VX5 is a great scope, take a look the Vortex Razor LH 3-15x44. I have one on my 2 main hunting rifles and have been very pleased.

@gr8fuldoug - For how long is the promo, I'd like to do some research?

@ARCaveman - Have you compared A:B the Vortex to the VX5 in real-world conditions? I ask only because I have a few higher end Vortex binos and spotters, but the clarity has not quite been as good as some other friends Leupold. I also have a Steiner that is a bit more clear, but the eye box is smaller than any of my friend's scopes, why is why I'm looking to try others.

VX5 would be a very good choice. I like 44 mm scopes for scope height with sporter style stocks. 15x power isn't to much and is nice if hunting a horn restriction area. Fire dot reticle works good if you hunt timber or low light. Leupold and Ziess are my two favorite scopes, they seem to suit my eyes better than most scopes.

@ARCaveman - Have you compared A:B the Vortex to the VX5 in real-world conditions? I ask only because I have a few higher end Vortex binos and spotters, but the clarity has not quite been as good as some other friends Leupold. I also have a Steiner that is a bit more clear, but the eye box is smaller than any of my friend's scopes, why is why I'm looking to try others.

I have not used a VX5 other than just taking a few shots at the range with my buddy's rifle. The glass was definitely clear and the fit and finish seemed good. While I prefer the Razor you can't go wrong with Leupold.

I have both and have hunted both. They are a horse a piece from where I sit glass wise, but I do really like leupolds zl2 Elevation turret for a hunting gun.

I have three 3-15x44 VX5HDs and they are excellent hunting scopes. Clear glass, repeatable dialing for hunting and most importantly excellent low light performance.

So, I need to know if I just made a mistake.

I thought I ordered the VX5HD 3-5x44 for my Weatherby Vanguard 300 Win Mag, BUT the shipping notice shows I ordered the 56mm version.

Should I send it back and order the 44mm, or just keep it?
56 seems really really large.

I tried putting a 56mm scope in a hunting rifle once. Felt a little awkward to me so I sold the scope and moved on. I recently purchased the Leupold vx5 3-15x44. Looks like a great scope. Can't wait to give it a try hunting whitetails.

Warning! This thread is more than 4 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.