Scope Recommendations?

Hello everyone,

I have gained an enormous amount of information reading this forum the last few years, and really appreciate being able to learn from others this way. I have a question I am hoping some of you can help with. I am heading to Utah on a once in a lifetime mule deer hunt at the end of September. It's a muzzleloader hunt. I have upgraded my Knight Ultra-Lite (comfortable to about 200 yards) for a Remington 700 Ultimate to account for the more open terrain (hoping to be deadly to 300+) but have not yet decided on optics. I'd like to get as much out of the gun as I am able, and am looking for suggestions regarding scopes from those that have experience stretching the limits of a smoke pole.

Thanks in advance,

Grant

I think suggestions could be better made based on what you're wanting to spend, and/or are you looking for used or new. There are older used Leupold's, VXIII's for example, out there for great prices that will do well.

Since you're not going past 400 I would recommend a Bushnell 6500 4 1/2-30X50. It's only 22 ounces. Today I could see 6.5 bullet holes with it on 16X. A fellow shooter could not see them with his scope costing hundreds more on a higher magnification.

I'm constantly post sold on the three I have.

Hello everyone,

I have gained an enormous amount of information reading this forum the last few years, and really appreciate being able to learn from others this way. I have a question I am hoping some of you can help with. I am heading to Utah on a once in a lifetime mule deer hunt at the end of September. It's a muzzleloader hunt. I have upgraded my Knight Ultra-Lite (comfortable to about 200 yards) for a Remington 700 Ultimate to account for the more open terrain (hoping to be deadly to 300+) but have not yet decided on optics. I'd like to get as much out of the gun as I am able, and am looking for suggestions regarding scopes from those that have experience stretching the limits of a smoke pole.

Thanks in advance,

Grant
Depending on your budget it might be a good idea to start at the bottom end of good glass. Leupold VX2 and Purpose built Muzzleloader scopes will do very well for most Black Powder ML applications.

I just upgraded my ML scope from the old 1x. Settled on a Leupold VX-2 with a CDS dial in 2-7x33. This thing is very light and compact, with plenty of magnification for shooting to 300 yards. Its perfect for me. Unfortunately they have discontinued this scope so its becoming hard to find. The VX-3 can be had in a similar configuration, 2.5-8x33, but the CDS dial is only available if you order through Leupold's custom shop. I also liked the Vortex Diamondback 2-7x35 but I prefer dialing elevation vs using the reticle (Vortex has a decent BDC reticle though). Might be able to get a Kenton turret for this scope. With 30+ inches of drop at 300 yards you kind of need a reliable way to adjust for elevation.