Scope Recommendations for ELR - both hunting and range applications

My hesitance with NF is that in order to get their best glass (ATACR), I have to go heavy 40 ounces ATACR versus 32 and 30 with Kahles and Leupold.

10oz seems like the last thing that would stop me from a purchase on a target rifle.

10 oz for a target rifle only is a non-issue and if all we were talking about is the 338 NORMA I would completely agree with you.
3/4 of a pound is a consideration on ELR/hunting rifles that combine excellent accuracy with manageable weight. Absolutely a consideration for a mountain hunting rifle.

You are right about what the best PRS shooters are using. However, March has always had a strong following in F Class competition. In the price range you are talking about, you could also consider S&B.

Agreed but like a purpose built rifle all components are not created equal. If your building a backpacking mountain rifle your optics arent going to be the same as on a elr bench rig. I think I would match the scope to the needs and capabilities of the rifle. Maybe that means a leupold on the hunting rifles and a NF on the bench rigs. I also wouldn't overlook March. they are superb glass

I did the same as you but my ranges max out at 1K and are normally about 800 max.

I have a 3-18 VX6 on my 22-250AI and a 4-24HD on my Creed and 300WM. All with nearly the same retical.

I thought Leupold made a 7-35 in the VX6 line but it appears they dropped it.

I don't know too much about the higher powered models but the AtacR would be high on my shopping list.

Hi,

Couple personal comments :)

Attempting to "Gauge" anything off what top PRS shooters are using is crazy....those guys flip flop equipment faster than Bill Clinton flips girls in Amsterdam red light district.

March has a larger following on the International scene than they do on the USA scene but even with that I would not put them in category of top 3 scope brands in the world.

ATACR
S&B PMII
Hensoldt

Sincerely,
Theis

I did the same as you but my ranges max out at 1K and are normally about 800 max.

I have a 3-18 VX6 on my 22-250AI and a 4-24HD on my Creed and 300WM. All with nearly the same retical.

I thought Leupold made a 7-35 in the VX6 line but it appears they dropped it.

I don't know too much about the higher powered models but the AtacR would be high on my shopping list.

I thought I might run into you...I say that in jest not meaning disrespect in that you and I started in nearly the same spot. I had the Gen 1 non-HD VX6 4-24 on five of the 6 rifles and the 7-42 on the 338 Norma. I loved the glass and was disappointed in the functionality of the turrets, how they felt when clicking, and ease/non-ease of zero and adjustment. The turrets felt "cheap" compared to the 3 brands I have listed.
I would consider the Mark 5 from leupold. Everything I have read says that particular model was developed to address the exact issues I mentioned.

I went hands on with all 3 at cabelas that other day and it seemed like I could put on a blindfold, flip a coin, and walk out with 6 of any of the brands and be happy. I am reaching out to gain additional knowledge on these 3 brands.

Based on everyones recommendations, I looked at March. Respectable company, although Japanese, and they appear to be well made and well thought out. ED glass and some decent funtions and features. That said, I will stay with what I know and thanks again for bringing the brand to my attention

Hi,

Couple personal comments :)

Attempting to "Gauge" anything off what top PRS shooters are using is crazy....those guys flip flop equipment faster than Bill Clinton flips girls in Amsterdam red light district.

March has a larger following on the International scene than they do on the USA scene but even with that I would not put them in category of top 3 scope brands in the world.

ATACR
S&B PMII
Hensoldt

Sincerely,
Theis

Agree they do flip alot and here I am flipping too. Flipping brings risk if you flip to a lesser or unfamiliar brand. The data stays pretty consistent, if they do flip year to year, and comp to comp, they stay within the largest % of the same brands consistently.
Nightforce, Kahles, and SB, and Leupold stay in the game. I have run Vortex in the past and know the 4-27 RZR is just to heavy for this need. SB is amazing and also a bit on the heavy side scope to scope, although in the game with Nightforce and if any brand had better functionality than Nightforce or Kahles, it would be SB.

SO I lean more the first 2. The reason I am bringing Leupold into the game is that for this particular cross functional need, they are viable to meet that need if lightest and price point for HD glass turns out to be a defining factor over build and weight of the other brands.

I agree with you completely on the turrets. They do lack a little in the positive engagement but do all that I ask. I also like the zero stop and the hd glass is amazing.

For a hunting scope with mostly for fun target work out to 1k they're great but beyond that you'd be wanting more.

My main purpose for the post was to illustrate I had done what you're looking to do on a lessor scale.

I would strongly recommend that you take a look at the Swarovski Z8i series. I had the opportunity to play with one a couple of weeks ago and was stunned at the glass and features. On top of that, it was light for that kind of glass.

I've been using Nightforce for the last 16 years, weights not a issue when it's slung on you shoulders or prone on a bipod. All of mine are matching reticles, easier for wind hold offs and drops if I don't want to dial close range. One rotation on a Actac turret 30moa gets me to 1100m.

I appreciate all the feedback and advice. You have helped me confirm thoughts and make a decision
Given the need, taking into account build quality, glass quality, price, and most importantly need - I am going with the Austrian Gods of Glass...Kahles and the SKMR reticle in 5 rifles and the SKMR3 in the 338NM within the K624i model. Now before you all tell me I am buying 3 year old technology, I was able to find some on clearance and one time after xmas offers that saved me anywhere from 15-30% off of the retail of 2999. Buying 6 of these is no small task even with discounts and deals. Yeah I had to call 4 different places to get them all and it is going to be so worth is. The reticle is clean, can be used for both hunting and precision shooting and the glass and build quality are pinnacle design qualities. All told, better quality and function than Leupold, lighter than Nightforce for similar applications and a guy could argue better glass than both. Ill have these optics for as long as I want...they will always be relevant.

Will be a pretty cool moment in a shooters life to be able to accomplish something like this. If I can remember to, Ill try to send along a photo of all the rifles when complete.

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2018-12-26 at 5.13.02 PM.jpg
    Screen Shot 2018-12-26 at 5.13.02 PM.jpg
    134.6 KB · Views: 27
Last edited:
Kahles with skmr#3 reticle would be my first choice. If budget is a concern try the sigtango6, tract or Nikon. Nothing wrong with NF either.