Scope recommendation....

KyleC

I have a Leupold VX5HD 3-15 on my 6.5 PRC and although it groups, the POI changes. One group will be low right, the next right of center etc. This is not the first Leupold that has done this to me.

So what scope? The rifle is Seekins Havak Element. My top choice right now is the Swarovski Z5 3.5-18x44 BT (not too keen on the 1 rev turret).

Any others I should consider?

It's a gamble when you buy any scope. I know Leupold is lacking on quality control, but I also know there not the only ones.

I always ask this when people have problems such as yours so bear with me. When setting up to shoot each shot are positive you are returning your rifle to the exact same spot every time? This makes a difference especially if you have a front swivel stud that may be grabbing your front rest on recoil and such. Does your front rest have a fore end stop so you can return the rifle to the exact same position as well? You can save yourself a lot of money and grief if you know for sure your setup is exact every time. I know I have and it took a bench rest shooter to show me these little tid bits when I was getting in the game.

Have you considered that after you shoot your groups that it has developed a contact spot in the forearm where the barrel could actually be touching the forearm? If this is happening that could be throwing your groups off. Next time you shoot it and the barrel is hot run a dollar bill to see if the barrel is still free floating.

And obviously check mounts, screws so forth. I'd call the factory for the torque setting and check the action screws too. Leupold will check your scope out for life. If you have another scope to put on it just to see if the trouble stays with the rifle or follows the scope. Doesn't have to be a 1k scope to shoot good at 100 yards. Then you will know if your in the market for new glass.

Good luck. Let us know how it goes.

About twenty-five years ago I replaced an expensive Burris with a Tasco. Groups went back to sub half inch from inch and a half. Burris sent me a new scope which I traded for a Weaver 6-24X. Never had a problem again.

Warning! This thread is more than 4 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.