Scope Recommendation (Hunting/Target), ~$1500 Max

Molonlabe63

Thank you in advance.

I have a Winchester Model 70 Extreme Weather Stainless Steel 300 Win Mag and seek your recommendations on a scope for big game hunting (500 yard/max) and long range target shooting. My max budget is ~$1500. Too many choices so I thought I would reach out to you for your valued opinions. Thinking ~ 3-15 or 4-16 magnification and 50mm max. I live in Colorado and will be elk hunting ~8-11K and would target shoot at 6500 ft if that matters.

There are many excellent options in SFP (IMO, best for hunting) by Steiner, Meopta, Nightforce, Swarovski and Zeiss.
I am back from SHOT Show Saturday if you'd like to give a call, 516-217-1000, to discuss what might be best
Doug

Thank you in advance.

I have a Winchester Model 70 Extreme Weather Stainless Steel 300 Win Mag and seek your recommendations on a scope for big game hunting (500 yard/max) and long range target shooting. My max budget is ~$1500. Too many choices so I thought I would reach out to you for your valued opinions. Thinking ~ 3-15 or 4-16 magnification and 50mm max. I live in Colorado and will be elk hunting ~8-11K and would target shoot at 6500 ft if that matters.

SFP or FFP? Reticle preference? The more information you can provide, the better the yield.

Thanks for the replies. I went to cabelas and looked at a few scopes. Leupold 3-15 x 44, SFP with the duplex, windplex, boone and crocket and impact MOA reticles. There are pro's and con's with each but (and maybe it's unwarranted) only the impact reticle allows for non-dial adjustments beyond say 600 yards (where I can use the reticle itself as the aim point compensation). Am I overthinking this? The duplex as an example is super clean but has no adjust points and I would have to dial in the distance. I also looked at the Zeiss Conquest V4 6-24x50 SFP ZMOA-2 and the Nightforce 5-20 x 56 (requiring a high mount and unknown cheek weld and the SHV 4-14x50 F1 but at <6 magnification I couldn't see the reticle clearly. The SFP's were easier to see but at my price point I believe that the could be an acceptable alternative. I have been reading on Steiner as well - very nice

Last edited:
Hard to beat the Leupold VX5 or VX6 if your preference is capped turrets/SFP. If you want FFP and ability to dial windage/elevation, the Brownells MPO is a scope I really like. Just picked up the 3-18x50 and very impressed for a $1000 scope.

I spent more time with the Leopold 3-15x44 5HD duplex sfp today and when I mentioned Steiner the salesman said that's the way I'd go. The 5HD was pretty nice

Warning! This thread is more than 5 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.