scope recomendations for a 338 lapua

uzi 4 u

Hi all new to the forum and Im sure this has already been discussed so sorry if it has. Here goes. I finally got me a savage 110 ba in 338 lapua. My problem is trying to decide on a scope. Id love to have a nightforce but my budget just will ot allow that rite now and I would really like to not have to wait a year to save the money to buy a NF. Just curious what other scopes were out there that you mite be using that are durable enuff to handle a lapua. I would really like to not breake the bank on a scope for now. I dont mind to save for a really good optic but I really wanna shoot my new rifle. Iv looked into Konus,Swfa,Falcon,and Nikon. I know Nikon well. I have several on my other rifles but have no experience with any of the others and no one in my area carries them for me to look at them.Or better yet look threw them. I cant really find a whole lot of info on how people like these or how they hold up and Ive spent a whole bunch of time searchin with minimal luck. I will only be using my rifle for shooting targets at the range. Any help and info would be appreciated.
Thank Yougun)

You could always give the Vortex Viper PST a try it is about a grand cheaper than the Nightforce. I wouldn't recommend a scope that doesn't at least have 68 MOA of verticle adjustment there are allot of scopes out there you will get a bunch different suggestions. On that note check them all out online and see what best fits your needs.

Hi all new to the forum and Im sure this has already been discussed so sorry if it has. Here goes. I finally got me a savage 110 ba in 338 lapua. My problem is trying to decide on a scope. Id love to have a nightforce but my budget just will ot allow that rite now and I would really like to not have to wait a year to save the money to buy a NF. Just curious what other scopes were out there that you mite be using that are durable enuff to handle a lapua. I would really like to not breake the bank on a scope for now. I dont mind to save for a really good optic but I really wanna shoot my new rifle. Iv looked into Konus,Swfa,Falcon,and Nikon. I know Nikon well. I have several on my other rifles but have no experience with any of the others and no one in my area carries them for me to look at them.Or better yet look threw them. I cant really find a whole lot of info on how people like these or how they hold up and Ive spent a whole bunch of time searchin with minimal luck. I will only be using my rifle for shooting targets at the range. Any help and info would be appreciated.
Thank Yougun)
.338LM is going to be very hard on any cheap scope.

If it were me I'd say instead look at Leupold MK IV's and Zeiss Conquests on Ebay, Gunbroker, and on the classifieds here at LRH and over at Sniper's hide.

You will also need to pay attention to getting very high quality rings, lapping them properly (or buy TPS rings which are self aligning) and make sure whomever mounts the scope for you knows what they are doing and torques it all down properly after leveling.

I agree with the prior post about the 338 being hard on scopes. Two guys I shoot with had problems with scopes failing from recoil and ended up going to Nightforces. In the end, it might be the cheapest route.

mark 4 or nightforce is of course your best bet, but i think that the Voretx Viper line of scopes will handle the recoil. We put one on a lightwieght 300 RUM and it has held up great. I really think for under 1k the vortex viper PST is going to be really hard to beat. If you bought one and it failed, Vortez would without a doubt send you a new one. they're customer service is top notch.

Thanks for the help guys. This is uncharted territory for me. Ive done a lot of precision shooting with smaller rifles at 5-600yards. Ill check into the vortex. My biggest problem besides finding good info on scopes is its hard to spend money on a scope that you cant see or look threw before you buy it.

I have the same rifle and put a nikon monarch 6-24x50 on it. I have ran a couple hundred rounds through it with no problems

How can I get a price on the sightron just bought 338 lapua and I'm looking for scope thought about nf but have had friends that did not like them
Thanks

I have a Sightron S III on a light 300 win mag and it has performed perfectly over several years of use.
I have two Night Force and the glass in the Sightron is comparable. I think not quite as good but less than half price.
Mounts are at least as important as the scope. I use Warne and since I switched to them I have had zero problems.

Warning! This thread is more than 11 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.