Scope/Range Finder Combos - Good and/or Bad?

Melarks

I am really interested to hear of all good and or bad experiences with the current combination scope/rangefinder combinations. The Burris eliminator, the Bushnell yardage pro, the Zeiss Victory Diarange and any others that I may not be thinking of. I want to make a good decision and I am not sure if I am sold on the technology. Please help!

I have not used one.... So with that in mind: A range finder that can only be used on one rifle.....no thanks. Heavy and bulky....no thanks. My main reason for posting even tho I do not know squat about them is to point out they are illegal to hunt big game with in Idaho. I do not know where your at or if any other states make an issue of them but if you plan on hunting with it you better make sure before you shell out the cash for one.

The new Eliminator is really sweet. The fact that you can used the scope on any power is a great improvement.

One of my hunting buddy's won one and mounted it on his 6.5Creedmore and personally, I think it is cumbersome. plus you have to use their specific mount to mount it.

Not for me.

I'd consider rangefinding Bino's but not an on the rifle combo.

One of my hunting buddy's won one and mounted it on his 6.5Creedmore and personally, I think it is cumbersome. plus you have to use their specific mount to mount it.

Not for me.

I'd consider rangefinding Bino's but not an on the rifle combo.

All of my rifles wear a picatinny base now so mounting is a non issue. As far a being cumbersome, yes it is larger than a normal scope, but it has a rangefinder in it so I wouldn't expect it to be the same size as a rifle scope without electronics.

I hunt alone and lots of times don't have time to go from binos to a scope so I needed an all in one package.

Different strokes for different folks.

I have field tested all three. So take that into account when you listen to folks that comment. If someone has not used them...well...lets just say listen to who you want.

With that in mind, you need to understand that a rangefinder scope is a little larger than a standard scope. However they a can be lighter and smaller than many other high end scopes. It is not going to be lighter and smaller than you standard 3x9. But than again when you are looking into range scopes I assume you are not slapping a Wal-Mart special or the cheapest on sale scope at gander mountain on your rifle anyway.

With that said by far the best of the top three is the ZEISS Victory Diarange 2.5-10x50 Y Laser Rangefinding Scope (Rapid Z-600 Reticle/Rapid Z-800 Reticle). Nitrogen filled, fastest reading time, longest battery life, amazing clarity, 10-999 yard range, and excellent low light optics. It is awesome. Oh yeah, and it is lighter than over half the scopes on the market. However, you get what you pay for and the $4000 price tag is steep!!

So for the money, the next best is the Burris ELIMINATOR™ LASERSCOPE Riflescope. It is a little bulkier than other scopes but worth it. It has vivid, bright, and crystal clear optics than beats most conventional scopes. It is 13" long so you compare it to others and check sizes. It also mounts closer to the gun than any other scope I have seen. The laser accuracy is +/- 1 yard which is pretty drang good (Zeiss is +/- .5 yards). The range is 25 to 800 yards but on an actual animal is it inky good to about 500 or 550. There are lots of prices out there but you should not be paying more than $900 for it.

ThevNIKON M-223 2.5-10x40 Riflescope Laser IRT is a very close third and you would be happy with it. It looks the most like a traditional scope if that matters to you. I just liked the Burris better.

Hope that helps

I have field tested all three. So take that into account when you listen to folks that comment. If someone has not used them...well...lets just say listen to who you want.

With that in mind, you need to understand that a rangefinder scope is a little larger than a standard scope. However they a can be lighter and smaller than many other high end scopes. It is not going to be lighter and smaller than you standard 3x9. But than again when you are looking into range scopes I assume you are not slapping a Wal-Mart special or the cheapest on sale scope at gander mountain on your rifle anyway.

With that said by far the best of the top three is the ZEISS Victory Diarange 2.5-10x50 Y Laser Rangefinding Scope (Rapid Z-600 Reticle/Rapid Z-800 Reticle). Nitrogen filled, fastest reading time, longest battery life, amazing clarity, 10-999 yard range, and excellent low light optics. It is awesome. Oh yeah, and it is lighter than over half the scopes on the market. However, you get what you pay for and the $4000 price tag is steep!!

So for the money, the next best is the Burris ELIMINATOR™ LASERSCOPE Riflescope. It is a little bulkier than other scopes but worth it. It has vivid, bright, and crystal clear optics than beats most conventional scopes. It is 13" long so you compare it to others and check sizes. It also mounts closer to the gun than any other scope I have seen. The laser accuracy is +/- 1 yard which is pretty drang good (Zeiss is +/- .5 yards). The range is 25 to 800 yards but on an actual animal is it inky good to about 500 or 550. There are lots of prices out there but you should not be paying more than $900 for it.

ThevNIKON M-223 2.5-10x40 Riflescope Laser IRT is a very close third and you would be happy with it. It looks the most like a traditional scope if that matters to you. I just liked the Burris better.

Hope that helps
Which version of the Eliminator were you testing? Sounds like a 2 not a 3 at that price.

i installed a burris eliminater on a friends 300 rum last summer. it was amazingly accurate and dead nuts on the ranging /scope adjustment out to 800 yds. he and his dad both killed elk with the rifle during the hunting season and both were shot past 500 yds. I think for someone not real familiar with LR, these are almost foolproof . almost like cheating. you just put the crosshairs on your target, push the ranging button, the scope gives you the holdover and you squeeze. excellent product in my opinion. AJ

Yes...tested the 2...biggest difference in the 3 is about 2 inches longer and about another 250 yards of ranging on an animal. Is that worth nearly double the price? I don't know, guess it depends on of you think your game will be that far.

Yes...tested the 2...biggest difference in the 3 is about 2 inches longer and about another 250 yards of ranging on an animal. Is that worth nearly double the price? I don't know, guess it depends on of you think your game will be that far.

And windage compensation and 16x vs 12x. 899 vs 1399. Not quite double the price, but one does have to decide for himself if the cost difference is worth it.

I had the bushy model for awhile. It worked well out to ~500 yards, but then I accidentally compared it to a friend's zeiss diarange... Bad idea. The zeiss is incredible, and the others can't live up to it. If I had the money I wouldn't hesitate to put the zeiss on any gun with a distance limit around 1k. My friend also uses his zeiss for long range matches- it definitely speeds up his whole process.

what scope do you use?gun)

All of my rifles wear a picatinny base now so mounting is a non issue. As far a being cumbersome, yes it is larger than a normal scope, but it has a rangefinder in it so I wouldn't expect it to be the same size as a rifle scope without electronics.

I hunt alone and lots of times don't have time to go from binos to a scope so I needed an all in one package.

Different strokes for different folks.

I have not used one.... So with that in mind: A range finder that can only be used on one rifle.....no thanks. Heavy and bulky....no thanks. My main reason for posting even tho I do not know squat about them is to point out they are illegal to hunt big game with in Idaho. I do not know where your at or if any other states make an issue of them but if you plan on hunting with it you better make sure before you shell out the cash for one.

Same here in Montana!

Warning! This thread is more than 9 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.