Scope Questions??

KennyLL

I am pretty much a greenhorn at coyote hunting!! I am using a Weatherby 25-06. The scope that I have is 4.5-14x42. I sighted it in at 100yds. I also shot at a target at 150yds out and it was pretty much dead on at that distance. I have not really shot at a thing say 200yds or further yet. My question is will a longer shot be accurate or should I do more long distance shooting and adjust the scope according?
The scope I have now was purchased at Scheels and cost around $200. I am not familiar with scope terminology, but the it has what it says is a "multiplex crosshairs". Not sure what that means. There are no little dots in the crosshairs like I have seen on other guys rifles.
I would appreciate some advice on sighting in this on long range shots.
Thank you!!!

What's the scope brand and model?

How far are you planning on shooting?

About what elevation will you be planning on shooting?

With what you have said I'm assuming it is a "Sheels" brand scope. I think they are a decent scope for the cost but I'm not sure how it would hold up to consistent turret turning. IMHO you might want to try to sight in for one range and learn to hold over - as long as you are not shooting past 350 or so. 2506 is a relatively flat shooting cartridge and it should be reasonable to hold over for coyote with it given moderate ranges. Generally speaking in order to get a scope that is in that power range that will have reliable elevation and windage adjustment you will need to spend more. How much more is a matter for discussion, many will say the Bushnell 3200, or the Nikon Buckmaster is the bottom of the barrel for decent "Long Range" scopes. Others will tell you that Leupald VXIII is... It all depends on what your willing to spend and how far, how accurate you intend to shoot.

hope this helps,
Mark

I believe that in another post you mentioned that 200 yds would probably be your max shot distance?? Depending on the load you are using in the 25-06, the flattest trajectory you can get out to 200 yds or slightly farther would be a "sight in" of "dead on" at about 175 yds +/-. That would put you within about an inch of your crosshair all the way from the muzzle to 200 yds or a little further.

If you get to the point where your shooting further than 200, you'd probably want to sight in for 200 or a little over.

I used 1683' elevation, 0 deg. F, standard atm, and Winchester Factory Loads to come up with those numbers in the Ballistic Calculator. I sight my 25-06 in for at least 250 - 300 yds(depending on the load), but that's in open country where I expect to shoot out past 350 yds.

The Multi-PleX reticle is just the simple standard "Thick crosshair that tapers or steps down to thin toward the center of the scope." Does that appear to be what you have?? They work just fine when you sight in properly and hold a little above or below as needed due to distance.

Last edited:
You are corrrct about my scope. If I go and sight it in for longer shots, say 300 yds, how does that affect shooting or aiming at targets that are 100yds or closer??? Would I hold the crosshairs a little below the intended target at closer ranges?? Thanks for you help!!!!

Exactly, you would have to hold a few inches below where you wanted the bullet to hit at 100,150,200, ect.

"Point Blank Range" sight ins are good for coyotes, because that way all you have to do is hold dead center and can make a vital hit out to X yds. Beyond X yds, you have to hold over or dial the scope. Holdover is quicker and less movement on the hunters part. That is what the "little dots" are sometimes used for.

The bigger the vital zone (higher midrange trajectory), the farther away you'd be sighted in at.

Example, if you were shooting the Winchester Supreme 85grn Ballistic Silvertip load at about 3470' / sec. You'd sight in "dead on" at 260 yd. Your highest point of impact would be about 2.5" above the crosshairs at 130 to 180 yds. Out at 300 yds you'd be about 2.5" low. Therefore you could hold right in the middle of the coyote out to a shade over 300 yds, and expect a hit in the boiler room (allowing for wind of course). Anything over 300 and you'd have to hold a little over. At 350 you'd be hitting about 6" low, at 400...12" low, ect. Guarantee you that 350 to 400 yds is a long way when the target is as small and "flighty" as a coyote.............especially from a sitting position......Double tough when it's windy.

These numbers come from the NightForce Ballistic Software, You can maybe pickup the Sierra version for a little less money, not really sure. I've used them both, and if you're thinking of getting into the long range game; they are a nice accessory to have.

Last edited:
Warning! This thread is more than 15 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.