Scope Questions - Need Advice

12many

Hello everyone. New member here. I read other posts here and this is the best forum for long range shooting. Not new to shooting, but most rifle shooting was with a 3x9 at deer in MT and not for group size or long distance.

I am shopping for a scope and need some advice. I shoot mostly at the range, but also get out once in a bit to the desert or mountains of southern Utah. Shooting is just for fun and I find it relaxing. Mostly bench work (target shooting) now but I want to keep my options open for varmitting or distance plinking in the future. Scopes last a long time.

I have been doing more rifle shooting lately and starting at 50 yard to 200 yards, but would like to stretch out further someday as I get better and as time permits.

This scope will be for either a CZ bolt in 223 or a WOA upper in 223.

I had ordered a Weather super slam 5-20m but the turrets were wrong (long story) and I am returning it. It was a great buy at $400 and the glass was great. Had the standard reticle (duplex), which seemed pretty thin.

Now I am leaning toward the Vortex Viper HS-T (MOA reticle). It is out of my initial budget but that happens.

Do you think the recital is too thick for (for fun) target work? I think the lines are .15 moa, so about 2-3/16 of an inch. I use a Nikon Buckmaster 6-18 mil-dot now and it works ok but I don't know its thickness.

Do you think I would be better off with a 4 power on the lower end instead of the 6 power?

Any other input on this scope that would turn me away based on my intended use? I don't want an illuminated recital.

Thanks for any advice you can provide.

I always opt for more power.I see you live in Nevada.You could shoot a fair piece out there.Can't hit what you can't see. JMHO

Warning! This thread is more than 10 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.