Scope question

shooter221

I have a Vortex crossfire II 3-9x40. I zeroed my 300 win mag at 200 yards today, with the scope zoom level on 9x. I am now concerned that I will have trouble seeing what I'm looking at if a deer walks out at 50 yards with a 9x magnification. Can I switch it to 3x and it will still work? Any help is appreciated.

It will work fine @ 3x for closer work. Lenses are so much better now & tolerances in scopes are tighter, too. We are living in the "good old days" as far as quality, affordable equipment goes.

Yes, you should be fine. If you're unsure take a shot or two at 50 yards when the magnification is set to 3x and then at 9x. The point of impact should be the same.
(shooting at 50 yds will make it easier to see the target when magnification is set to 3x)

I have a Vortex crossfire II 3-9x40. I zeroed my 300 win mag at 200 yards today, with the scope zoom level on 9x. I am now concerned that I will have trouble seeing what I'm looking at if a deer walks out at 50 yards with a 9x magnification. Can I switch it to 3x and it will still work? Any help is appreciated.
Yes it will work fine. If you zeroed using the center of the crosshairs, it doesn't change your point of impact by turning it down to 3x. If you use a scope that has ballistic holdovers then the holdovers works at a pre determined magnification setting. So the point of impact if using the holdovers would change if you changed magnification. I think you will be just fine if an animal walks out close.

Yes!

With the information given my crude guess is that you'll be maybe a half inch off or less. Depending on the load and rifle it's possible you'll see little, if any, difference. If either outcome is acceptable to you then there's your answer without actually shooting it to see for yourself.

Warning! This thread is more than 4 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.