scope problems

sewwhat89

I have a Zeiss 4.5-14x44 on my 300 SAUM, but it only gets me to about 550 yds with a dead hold. What would be the cheapest way to go about getting it to 1k elevation? I am short about 19.4 MOA based on some conservative estimates of bc and MV.

Cheapest would probably be a piece of pop can as a shim under the base, but were it me I'd spend $30-$35 on a set of Burris Signature rings with the plastic inserts. They can add up to 40 moa.
Chris

40 MOA on the rings alone? Do the inserts come with the rings or do you have to get them individually? That would be perfect!

ummmm..

They make 20 MOA bases and 40 MOA bases... call Marty at badger ordinance

Burring rings are good for varmint hunters and light recoiling rifles. I'd rather have a solid ring/scope contact.. especialy under a heavier recoiling rifle...

[ QUOTE ]
ummmm..

I'd rather have a solid ring/scope contact.. especialy under a heavier recoiling rifle...

[/ QUOTE ]

Ric,

What constitutes too heavy in your opinion? The rifle is a 300 SAUM Sendero. I consider its recoil pretty light, but I have never used Burris Sig rings. The Badger bases and rings would run me over $300. That is not feasible for a factory rifle imo.

sewwhat
The inserts are about $10, if you need 40 moa you will need 2 sets since a set includes 5,10, and 20 moa adjustments the most you can get from 1 set would be 30 moa (approx.)

I have had them on a 300 win mag for a little over 2 years and they haven't budged at all. However Rics right from what I hear Badgers are about as solid as it gets, there have been reports of the Burris rings slipping on the big boomers.
Chris

P.S. If you go the Burris route be sure and clean all the oil off the rings AND inserts, less chance of slipping that way.

I was comparing a 300 whatever to a light recoiling varmint rifle... I personally feel like nylon inserts are marginal when you get beyond the "average" hunters minute of pie plate accuracy...

I would go with 20 moa or 40 moa one piece badger base.

[ QUOTE ]
sewwhat
The inserts are about $10, if you need 40 moa you will need 2 sets since a set includes 5,10, and 20 moa adjustments the most you can get from 1 set would be 30 moa (approx.)

I have had them on a 300 win mag for a little over 2 years and they haven't budged at all. However Rics right from what I hear Badgers are about as solid as it gets, there have been reports of the Burris rings slipping on the big boomers.
Chris

P.S. If you go the Burris route be sure and clean all the oil off the rings AND inserts, less chance of slipping that way.

[/ QUOTE ]

I think you will find 40 MOA not quite possible.

the inserts are marked in 0.001, not MOA, with .020 cant, the rings would need to be separated about 3.5" to get 20MOA

at the normal spacing, say around 5" the 20thou inserts would only gain you about 14MOA

at 4.5" spacing = ~15MOA/set of 0.020 inserts

so if you put the +- 0.020 pairs front and back (in the correct orientation) you will be closer to 28-30 moa added.

HTH,
JB

just a fyi,i have been using 2 piece leupold dovetail base and +20 in rear -20 in front in 25-06 100gr and 21oz scope,with excellent results,no poi change with this class of recoil(13ft/lbs).for 3 months and @100rds.4 3/8" ctc rings and not 40moa more like very low 30's...jb is correct in the calculations /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif

Bucknutz
I saw where you won some more money. Pretty soon you are going to be rich enough to retire.

/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

won,5 seconds 2 firsts (after using the burris signature zee system and stopped looking through the top of the scope,now at my 500yd zero i am dead nutz in the optic center and actually saw my holes at 500yds.conditions were right for the looking but before using the zee's my high score was 114....after 122-123 havent got a scope for the AI yet and thats killing me! but it will be ready to start at mifflin next season for sure! cant rush perfection!

jb
Good info there. I wondered why I didn't get a full 40 with .020s in front and back, I got enough to get past 1000 yds so I never gave it another thought.
Chris

Warning! This thread is more than 19 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.