Scope Power?

Lazerus

Just had a 6.5 284 Norma built with a 28 inch Burrux barrel...just wondering, how much magnification do i need in my scope to hunt out to 1000 yd.s? I am hearing different things, (from 10 power to 16). I would love to hear any ideas!

i put a 6.5-20 x 50 mark 4 lrt on my 6.5-284 and i love it , i figure if i cant see what iam shooting at then i cant hit it,

I am using a Schmidt Bender PMII 4-16 on marmots. It starts to get a little tough to see these small targets past 1200 yards. So far 1400 is the farthest I have shot with it.
I've also been using a 2.5-10 Nightforce on a 270 WSM light weight rifle. I have had no problem picking up marmots out to 600 with it.

I would have to say, anything 15x & up. I'm running a 3.2-17 USO on my 6.5WSM. That is as low as I am willing go for a true 1000yd rifle.

I have read that the USO compares favorably with scopes like Premier, S&B, and the top end Ziess.
My experience with the S&B has been that with really great glass, 16 power has been enough for shooting at 1K+.

1.5x for every 100 yards and you should be able to engage anything bigger than a coyote at what ever your preferred range is. If you are shooting sod poodles and various vermin then you might want to up that to 2x per 100 yards.

Just had a 6.5 284 Norma built with a 28 inch Burrux barrel...just wondering, how much magnification do i need in my scope to hunt out to 1000 yd.s? I am hearing different things, (from 10 power to 16). I would love to hear any ideas!

While I am in no way in the league of most here as far as extreme long range ,or even long range for that matter ill throw in my 2 cents as it was explained to me when I was in your situation. More power is great when your trying to reach out there but consider this...... Just cause the target is bigger in the scope doesnt make it bigger down range. You mentioned hunting out to 1000 yards. Does that include summer time practice with this same rifle, because the more power you use the more you pick up mirage and barrel heat and such. For this reason I would say 15 power is plenty to get ya to 1000.

Then theres the other side.... Your gonna wanna strech it past that 1000 sometime as we all get the bug haha..... So buy the best ya can afford for what ya wanna do..... now and later:D

While I am in no way in the league of most here as far as extreme long range ,or even long range for that matter ill throw in my 2 cents as it was explained to me when I was in your situation. More power is great when your trying to reach out there but consider this...... Just cause the target is bigger in the scope doesnt make it bigger down range. You mentioned hunting out to 1000 yards. Does that include summer time practice with this same rifle, because the more power you use the more you pick up mirage and barrel heat and such. For this reason I would say 15 power is plenty to get ya to 1000.....

This is true however, on days when mirage is high, you can turn your high magnification optic down to remove the mirage. When the shot gets long or you just need a better look, you can't turn your 15x scope up.

t

This is true however, on days when mirage is high, you can turn your high magnification optic down to remove the mirage. When the shot gets long or you just need a better look, you can't turn your 15x scope up.

t
+1 ^ when i was shooting at 1840 yards yesterday i had to turn my 6.5-20x50 Mark IV to 10 power for two reasons, 1. Heavy to light mirage 2. i needed to hold 10 mils in the scope but there are only 5 at 20X so at 10X ive got 10 mils.

BTW shooting waaaay out there is fun!!

Happy shooting
Riley

t

This is true as well but what can ya see at 1000 yards on 20 power ya cant see on 14-15 power......I ask only because I beleive the stadia is true in my scope only on full power...so if I were to dial down for mirage then my wind hold would be off........ Am I thinking of this correctly...... Like I said Im still learning too. I would think if ya had a ffp scope get all the power ya can..... But if you get a second fp scope for shots out to 1000 limit the power to 14 or 15..... Welcome any flaws in my thinkin as the ffp sfp thing still has me confused........

... while others do it with iron sights. It simply amazes me and I never get tired watching it ...

(Yeah, yeah, yeah ... not the longest shot but amazing to say the least! :):rolleyes::cool:gun))

Last edited by a moderator:
Redneck, if you are using a 2nd FP scope and some kind of ballistic reticle, then your holds will be off... unless you dial in corrections.
Then you better have turrets that are both absolutely accurate and repeatable.

Warning! This thread is more than 12 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.