Scope power for 1,760y ?

Whats everyones opinion on optimum scope power for 1 mile (1,760y) shooting and why? Just wondering what everyone is running on their ELR rifles, the Burris XTR III 5.5-30x56 looks like the perfect choice for this application.....any thoughts?
Anyone using the leupold mark 5hd 5-25×56??

I would think optimum power in optimum conditions would be somewhere between 20-30x. It would give you a decent combination of FOV for seeing misses and precise aiming. That being said I usually end up doing most of my shooting somewhere between 12x-14x because I get an excellent field of view to spot misses and it minimizes the effect of mirage. I also have 20/15 vision and can hold 1/4 MOA at distance, which helps me out. 15x certainly would work, and my guess is that for me it'd end up around there, but for most people it would probably not be "ideal". I haven't been able to shoot at a mile yet. My furthest is ~1370, but obviously I've looked at further.

Last edited:
I hit a milk jug at 1 mile this past September. I was using a 4-20 power Sightron with a 50 mm objective on my 6.5 Creedmoor. Some say 10-15 power is all you need, and I do agree, to an extent, but more power is, in my opinion a better way to go. I have seen some of the scopes that range from 4 or 5 power to 25, or 35 power, in my opinion those would be the best choice. You can turn them down, and still have a decent field of you if you plan to hunt with the rifle, or turn them up, and use them for plinking. That's how I run my scopes.

When I hit the milk jug at 1 mile, even at 20 power, it was hard to see that I made the impact. I actually put red food coloring in the water, so that I would see the jug change in color. At that kind of range with a 6.5 caliber bullet, you are probably not going to hear the impact on steel, and with mirage you will probably have a hard time seeing a reaction from the target. That's why colored water worked for me, I was able to see by target change color, knowing that I had made the hit.

Warning! This thread is more than 6 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.