Scope power for 1,760y ?

you ASSume wrong
i was not shooting with some "nra
people"
i was shooting a sanctioned magnum rifle match.
you plink at 2000 yards...probably , because with your 15x scope you cannot hit anything but dirt.
you keep picking on me but offer no FACTS to support your OPINION?
come up with some FACTS and less opinion.
i have posted FACTS...you have posted opinions.
sounds like you voted for hilary, all hot air, no facts.

Oh you're right. You plinking with some NRA people at raton is sooo factual and gives a definitive answer to the question because, well, that's what they use. I'm the closed minded person. Yes because what the gear that other people are running and marketing in the industry is of no concern to me makes me ignorant.

You have soooo much information and military knowledge, and you know about my job more than I do because you read American sniper. Your right.

Your facts check out buddy. How dumb of me.

I wonder if next you'll let me know that Hillary should have won the elections next. Asking for a friend.

you ASSume wrong
i was not shooting with some "nra
people"
i was shooting a sanctioned magnum rifle match.
you plink at 2000 yards...probably , because with your 15x scope you cannot hit anything but dirt.
you keep picking on me but offer no FACTS to support your OPINION?
come up with some FACTS and less opinion.
i have posted FACTS...you have posted opinions.
sounds like you voted for hilary, all hot air, no facts.
Name one fact you mentioned

I have another fact. You're a bench rest shooter and that's why you like to rain your high mag is the only right way type bs.

And from other forums you have a hard on for SEALs and "Sniper rifles" which would be fine by itself except you make points like some SOF dude uses some gear so it must be used for shooting long range because ?? not thinking about the uses high mag has for PID, or conducting obs.

Or the issue of shooting off of structures, or vehicles or on the hot dirt where fighting mirage comes up. Or how much harder it is to track a moving target with too much mag. Even if you are not going to take a shot.
Or to find a target with the scope after Receiving a addrac.

The longest confirmed kill in the world by the JTF2 dude, he was using the same scope I used in service. A s&b pm2 5-25.
And that was another mile then what we are talking about here with 10 seconds of flight time.
Fact.
Point being YOUR facts aren't THE facts. You don't NEED a telescope to shoot a mile. Getting little groups out there idk, maybe. I don't shoot groups off a bench at a mile so you have me there. I rarely ever shoot off a bench period.

http://forum.accurateshooter.com/threads/crc-byers-1000yd-match-today-and.3813090/

http://forum.accurateshooter.com/threads/bigedp51s-thread-on-how-to-measure-case-volume.3813403/

Last edited:
i thought you had an issue with reading comprehension, but i have decided you are just full of hot air.

FACT ONE. the us navy SEAL's WENT WITH THEIR FIRST HIGH POWERED SCOPE ON THEIR ACCURACY INTERNATIONAL 300 WIN MAGS ( NIGHTFORCE 5.5-22x).
( that fact came from seal team 7)

and you have still only posted (poor) opinions
Name one fact you mentioned

Last edited:
partially correct. yes i do shoot benchrest, actually national champ at 600 yard in 2015; but it is not all i shoot. i shoot vintage sniper 100/200/300 /600 yards bench and prone, the mag rifle match at raton was prone 875 to 2023 yards.
so again you are wrong.
i also shoot 2000 yd group and score. 2 of the 3 classes are prone.
raining on your bs, the rifle i shot in the raton match is a copy of a navy SEAL MK13 sniper rifle. same 5.5-22x 56 scope they use. last match at 1790 three single shot hits aprox 30 mins apart. ( you can shoot a 2nd shot if you miss..i did not miss)

yes my BR rifles have REAL high power scopes, 15-55x on both 600/1000 yd rifles.
but the 338 edge will have a 7-35x-56. others use high power scopes with large tilt bases, i like cranking up.
another bs from you , i like the SEALs, and today i only have the mk13 sniper rifle, no others, so more bs from the hot air source.
i like SEAL'S but have no desire/use for people that think they are "SOF" more bs from you, i never said it.
the guy asked about shooting at one mile, not sniping, not hunting...that is all in your air head mind. so quit drifting.

i doubt you will ever learn the difference between shooting at 1 mile and precision shooting and hitting at one mile.

the mil is always last to change to a modern item. nearly 20 years ago they went to the original penn 1000 yr range to learn what it takes to hit CONSISTENTLY at 1000 plus.
I have another fact. You're a bench rest shooter and that's why you like to rain your high mag is the only right way type bs.

And from other forums you have a hard on for SEALs and "Sniper rifles" which would be fine by itself except you make points like some SOF dude uses some gear so it must be used for shooting long range because ?? not thinking about the uses high mag has for PID, or conducting obs.

Or the issue of shooting off of structures, or vehicles or on the hot dirt where fighting mirage comes up. Or how much harder it is to track a moving target with too much mag. Even if you are not going to take a shot.
Or to find a target with the scope after Receiving a addrac.

The longest confirmed kill in the world by the JTF2 dude, he was using the same scope I used in service. A s&b pm2 5-25.
And that was another mile then what we are talking about here with 10 seconds of flight time.
Fact.
Point being YOUR facts aren't THE facts. You don't NEED a telescope to shoot a mile. Getting little groups out there idk, maybe. I don't shoot groups off a bench at a mile so you have me there. I rarely ever shoot off a bench period.

http://forum.accurateshooter.com/threads/crc-byers-1000yd-match-today-and.3813090/

http://forum.accurateshooter.com/threads/bigedp51s-thread-on-how-to-measure-case-volume.3813403/

Guys im not sure what the ****ing match really has to do with ****.... maybe we can get back to what matters..... nobody gives a ****, i was just wanting opinions and good discussions, however that has went to the wayside.... everyone is a super sniper on a forum.... can we stay the course?.... were all in this hobby together....

about 10 years ago I was shooting at a seminar with Bobby Hart . we were shooting milk jugs at different yardages from 600 to 1000 yards . we had a few jugs on a dirt mound at 1000 . I could not see these jugs with my 4.5 - 14 scope , I used his rifle . he was using a 8-25 Leupold .

Wow, sorry to see the discussion go sideways, but if something works for someone, then go for it. Isn't that why there are so many different products and choices? Ford vs Chevy vs Dodge vs Toyota vs......?

If 50x helps u 2 be a better shooter and have more fun, just do it. If u can see and connect at 10x, then may the stars align for u 2. Most of us fall somewhere in between.

May the mirage always be light.

when I am shooting at 1760yds+ I use an old school Leupold/Premier Reticle 14.5x35x50. Has worked awesome for years. On days when conditions are perfect it would be nice to have more power but most days 35x is enough but would never want a lower powered scope. those that say 15x or less I will never be able to understand, it's faulty reasoning no matter how you spin it.

when I am shooting at 1760yds+ I use an old school Leupold/Premier Reticle 14.5x35x50. Has worked awesome for years. On days when conditions are perfect it would be nice to have more power but most days 35x is enough but would never want a lower powered scope. those that say 15x or less I will never be able to understand, it's faulty reasoning no matter how you spin it.
"Its faulty reasoning no matter how ya spin it"..... well said..... i will say the idea of aim small miss small works, and well, at a mile aiming small requires a scope with 18+ power and incredible resolution...otherwise its like shooting at 500y with iron sights....(just my opinion)

FWIW I typically have my scopes around 14x when I'm shooting around the 1 mile mark at 1 MOA targets. I have a few hunting rifle with scopes topping out at 10x and I've never missed a shot at 1 mile on an MOA target because of lack of magnification. I'd say that with scopes in the same quality range as an NXS I wouldn't bother going over 20x. Optics in the same quality range as the ATACR and better are more usable above 20x in my experience. Having said that, I still typically use all of my scopes regardless of optical clarity at around 14x because that's what works for me.

It may just be my vision though because I don't even like using my Swaro spotter above 25-30x.

an anomaly, certainly not normal, nor average. glad it works for you.
FWIW I typically have my scopes around 14x when I'm shooting around the 1 mile mark at 1 MOA targets. I have a few hunting rifle with scopes topping out at 10x and I've never missed a shot at 1 mile on an MOA target because of lack of magnification. I'd say that with scopes in the same quality range as an NXS I wouldn't bother going over 20x. Optics in the same quality range as the ATACR and better are more usable above 20x in my experience. Having said that, I still typically use all of my scopes regardless of optical clarity at around 14x because that's what works for me.

It may just be my vision though because I don't even like using my Swaro spotter above 25-30x.

Warning! This thread is more than 6 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.