scope power and longrange

gohring3006

I was wondering what would be the maximum range a 3-9x40 scope would realistically be good for? It has a duplex retical....

Used a 3.5-10 Leupold with M1 turrets when I first started shooting long range and a elk at 600 yards was easy to get on. The problem and the reason I upgraded is when doing load development and proving the load could not see the target clear at long range (400 yards ++) so the hold was never good and the results showed that.

If you could get a load developed with a more powerful scope and then switch back to a lesser power and still retain the accuracy and the come ups were the same that would be ideal in a lot of circumstances and like I said a elk at 600 yards would be a easy shot with a 10 inch kill zone. Rock Chuck at that range would be another story. So it really depends on what you want the scope to do.

Used a 3.5-10 Leupold with M1 turrets when I first started shooting long range and a elk at 600 yards was easy to get on. The problem and the reason I upgraded is when doing load development and proving the load could not see the target clear at long range (400 yards ++) so the hold was never good and the results showed that.

If you could get a load developed with a more powerful scope and then switch back to a lesser power and still retain the accuracy and the come ups were the same that would be ideal in a lot of circumstances and like I said a elk at 600 yards would be a easy shot with a 10 inch kill zone. Rock Chuck at that range would be another story. So it really depends on what you want the scope to do.
It would be primarily target and some longrange hunting from 100 to 800 yrds. Better stick to the higher powered scopes huh. Its a Nikon buckmaster. I have a Bushnell 6-18x50 on it but the Nikon is much clearer..

I've got a dozen or so rifles. The lowest powered scope I have is a Leupold VX-6 that adjusts from 3 to 18 power. Most of my scopes are 6 X 24 which work well for load development and long range hunting. However my favorites are my two Bushnell Elites in 4.5 X 30 power. For 800 yards I'd say get at least 24X on the high end.

I was wondering what would be the maximum range a 3-9x40 scope would realistically be good for? It has a duplex retical....
Long as you can hold the cross hairs on the target, it's as good for as far as you can shoot. I've shot elk over 400 yards with a 3x9, although I have a 4.5x14 now just cuz it makes a bigger target for an old guy with old eyes. But the rifle you have the scope on probably has more to do with what your range should be than a 3x9 scope.

This is a very sensible answer. I would add that actual shooting conditions in the field, such as mirage, often render the higher magnifications useless. The typical "bigger is better" solution tends to fall flat under such circumstances. My personal preference is toward top magnifications in the 14x-18x range.

In practical terms, I agree that the higher magnifications are useful primarily for load development. I wouldn't otherwise feel handicapped by a scope that tops out at 9x or 10x for big game out to 600 yards or so.

I tend to be one of those shooters that prefer the higher powered scopes. Typically, my scopes are in the 5-22x range, although I do have one in the 4-15x range. The higher magnification does help with a more precise aiming point, but not really necessary.

For me, the higher magnification is all about reading the wind. Gravity is a constant, so once you have a good drop chart your pretty much done (except for minor elevation tweeks).

However, wind is a variable that constantly messes with you and your shot. For shots 500 yds and less, a 10 mph wind will push your bullet several inches off target - but still hit the vitals of larger animals. Beyond that, wind can become a huge factor. It's easy to get a wind reading where you are at, but what about wind speed and direction at the target? How about wind conditions at the half way mark? I have actually detected wind blowing nearly 90 degrees off the original direction on some LR shots. When shooting 800 yds., you need to take this into account. By watching how vegetation is reacting to...say an 8 mph wind where I am at, I can then use my higher magnification to check the vegetation at the target and halfway point to make my final adjustment for the wind. Higher magnification allows me to see how blades of grass and leaves on bushes are moving or reacting to the wind downrange.

My scopes have helped me to 'see' changes in wind speed and direction downrange. The trade off can be greater mirage at times, but you can dial back your magnification to eliminate that.

Warning! This thread is more than 10 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.