Scope or Red Dot for turkey gun?

I like a red dot with no magnification. Makes for quick target acquisition and an exact aim point. Once you pattern your loads to the red dot it's a very deadly combo.
Not saying a low power scope wouldn't work you just don't need any magnification when shooting turkeys.
Any recommendations on brand and model?

Depends on what gun your shooting. I had to add a pic rail to my Benelli Nova and mounted an Bushnell red dot. It was pretty cheap and have had no problems after 10 years pounding it with 3-1/2" magnums. Trijicon makes some very nice red dots for shotguns as does Vortex.

37C390D5-2016-451A-947A-C8FD9584A0DE.jpeg

I like a red dot if you are calling them in close.under 40 yards.The red I have is a 3.5 moa and after 40 yards it covers the head of the turkey.I have a scope on a gun and a red dot on another gun.It depends on what mood I am in and where and how I am hunting on which one I carry.Good luck.

Red dot at 45 yards. Tried both. I think in the East in heavy cover target acquisition is easier With red dot.Go back and forth on TSS and Hevi shot.

Attachments

• 003F5A75-E036-4D7E-8147-4BA34A8E992F.jpeg
    003F5A75-E036-4D7E-8147-4BA34A8E992F.jpeg
    2.5 MB · Views: 198
As the tile says, low power scope or red dot for turkey gun. Please provide me with your experiences and thanks for the replies.
Don't need it! At best just front green dot and rear u notch with double green or orange dots! I've seen it all used! Simple is better in the long run.!!!! The optics can fail or hinder vision get knocked off etc.!

Don't need it! At best just front green dot and rear u notch with double green or orange dots! I've seen it all used! Simple is better in the long run.!!!! The optics can fail or hinder vision get knocked off etc.!
I agree. That's my setup on my 870. Tight turkey choke with 4×6 duplex loads will kill a gobbler at 60 yds. The red and green aftermarket sights are fast and accurate.

As the tile says, low power scope or red dot for turkey gun. Please provide me with your experiences and thanks for the replies.
I run an EoTech 512 Holographic Weapons Sight in Mossy Oak finish to match my Mossberg 835 Turkey Tactical. 20" 3-1/2" M4 style collapsing stock/pistol grip/ambi tang safety......just in case those turkeys attempt to over run my position..... :) :) :) For turkeys, this allows one to sight accurately out to shotgun maximum range, and still have great peripheral vision for sneaky secondary birds approaching from the side. 512 has handled the big magnum rounds for 10+ years without any problems....better than my aging shoulders.....I shoot left and right....depending upon direction of approaching birds. The 512 uses two AA batteries which are available any where. One set lasts more than Spring and Fall turkey seasons. We always replace every Spring. Tried an EoTech G33 3x magnifier with the 512, but decided it wasn't necessary and it added 11.2ozs which detracted from the rig's light weight, easy handling. Hunting buddies really razed me when I first showed up with this rig. .......as noted above...."Afraid those turkeys are gonna' over run your position, are ya'???" Well, as a matter of fact, YEAH!! We've got a lot of birds on our property. .But, within 2 years, most of those scoffers had opted for similar rigs (some Mossberg 500s, 535s, 835s in different models, couple Rem 870s, but, as I recall, every one with the EoTech 512) for themselves and their kids/grandkids. We find the 512s are the Timex of red dots...."take a lickin', and keep on tickin'." Will never go to any other rig for turkeys.

Last edited: