Scope or Rail Mounted Anti-cant Level

Tiny Tim

As the title suggests, which type are you guys using? What are the advantages of each? Thus far, I've only used ones mounted to the scope tube. I've seen some that have the vial in the rail itself and while I like the idea of it not protruding, it seems an awkward placement and rail mounted would likely hinder the use of most cosine indicators. Thoughts and suggestions appreciated.

I've also only used the scope mounted bubble-levels (Vortex) on all of mine. Had an 'Accuracy First' level once, but sold it along with the scope it was on. I'm 'distance challenged' to only being able to shoot under 500 yards (for now) so they probably don't benefit me quite as much as the true LONG RANGE guru's on here...but it's an inexpensive addition so I figured why not?

As the title suggests, which type are you guys using? What are the advantages of each? Thus far, I've only used ones mounted to the scope tube. I've seen some that have the vial in the rail itself and while I like the idea of it not protruding, it seems an awkward placement and rail mounted would likely hinder the use of most cosine indicators. Thoughts and suggestions appreciated.
I like the idea of rail-mounted (esp. that built-in) levels and scope rings with built-in levels because you can use it to level your scope with it. If you like using cosine indicator with scope level, I have a Horus Vision ASLI (https://www.mountsplus.com/horus-vision-asli.html) on my .270 AI.

Like Deputy above, I run the Vortex - directly mounted to my scope tubes, on dang near every rifle that I own. I place them so that they are visible to my Left (non-dominant) eye.

I am aware of the rail sections that have these imbedded into the rear-most portion of rail, as well as the Spuhr mounts, many of which have the bubble level imbedded into their bases, just above the picatinny interface.

Let me be absolutely clear in that I do not think any of these are poorly made or bad options for other shooters, but for me, any level that is placed directly under the ocular lens of a scope seems to be in an odd spot for ME while actually on the gun. I know that many folks really like these models and have great luck in shooting them well.

For me, it just feels much more natural to be "on scope" and finding my hold, then change my focus to my non-dom eye and verify that I am level, then transition back to my dominant eye and complete the shot. The scope tube mounted bubbles seem to be in the perfect spot and cause almost no change in my line of sight when I am transitioning between eyes.

The other major advantage to the scope tube mounts for me, is that if you really take your time to level the reticle and tube, the level can stay on the tube if you want/need to swap scopes around to different rifles. I end up doing this a fair amount, and I end up with a plug-and-play scope/mount/level package that easily transitions between rifles.

You may end up preferring the rail mounted versions.

I run tube mounted levels left side on all my scopes. Behind the rifle, I see them with my left eye easily. Usually Flatline Ops, but a couple scopes can't fit them. S&B PMII 5-20US has to wear a Vortex lo-pro due to being narrower to fit between ring and turret bell on an extremely limited mounting area. Or MK Machine being about the only one making a 36mm for the ZCO line of scopes.
20200405_101128.jpg

Last edited:
I generally run a scope mounted one. I purchased a VX6 and it has the built-in anti cant, gotta say it's pretty slick now I wish all my scopes had this feature

I like the ones built in to the rail but also I use the one on top of my rings built into them dump the cosine thing and get a range finder that will do shot to range on up down hill shots and a good wind meter kestrel 5700 that will work with your wind meter

Warning! This thread is more than 4 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Recent Posts