Scope opinions!

I'm shooting with a couple of guys that are using athalon scopes . I'm not sure what models , but I know they are not the higher priced ones . I think they said about $600 . they are front focal , maybe they make second focal ? these scopes are dialed up and down a fair amount over a weekend , and seems to do ok . these might be worth taking a look at .

Meopta Optika6 until he gets some signficant trigger time and develops an idea of his preferences.

I have two Athlon Ares Gen 1 scopes and can't say one thing bad about them. Great glass for what I paid for them.

For $1800 I would get a Vortex Razor HD Gen 2. That is going to be a capable long range rifle and SFP anything is not the answer, even if it says NF on the box.

these athalon scopes are shooting out to 1600 , until about 2 weeks ago when we shot at 2045 . today we shot at 2375 . we typically shoot 50 rounds over a weekend . these scopes seem to be holding up well . the more I shoot with these guys , the more I'm glad to be using a SFP .

Ok first if all this is not for me, but know my next scope, NF NX8 4-32x50 f2....which I also recommend to my buddy that just purchased a CHRISTENSEN ARMS, MESA LONG RANGE, BOLT ACTION, SPIRAL FLUTED BOLT, 6.5 PRC, 26" BARREL, 4+1 ROUND, CARBON FIBER COMPOSITE STOCK

He will not be hunting and may never hunt with this rifle, he will plink with factory ammo, I do not think he's shot anything further then like 200 yards so he will be learning as he goes and I will be helping him as much as I can.

He's willing to pay 2k for the glass but with the lack of my knowledge on NF's I was just wondering if say a NSX would do what he wants, again he will not be hunting so low light situations will probably not be that big of a deal but Scope travel and repeatability will be big for him.
Not stuck on a single brand of scope btw!

As always any information is greatly appreciated
[/
I have a Huskemaw 5-20x50 on my big gun. It's a Rem Sendero SFII in 300mag. Custom turrets. Range 750, dial 750, wind from right at 10mph, custom dial tells me wind hold for 750, apply correction, squeeze, bang, flop.
Just overhauled my 270 I got as a teenager, that's 55 years ago. She's now a 6.5 Creedmoor, rebedded in the original wooden stock, trued Mauser action, Timney trigger, and Huskemaw 5-20x50 scope. She's a shooter! Hornady Precision Hunter 143 ELD-X AMMO. That's a 3 shot group at 1011 yards!!!

Attachments

• A7E6C160-F402-41F8-AD76-C148620941C1.jpeg
    A7E6C160-F402-41F8-AD76-C148620941C1.jpeg
    181.1 KB · Views: 103
  • EC4372DA-D7BB-4CFE-80D7-4E1385DCE2BC.jpeg
    EC4372DA-D7BB-4CFE-80D7-4E1385DCE2BC.jpeg
    63 KB · Views: 96
CVCO....Sorry, I misread the original post, thought it was 2000 yards not 200. You are correct at 200 any halfway decent scope will work. Lots of choices in the $500 range, just pick any of the major brands mentioned in this thread.

He has a good budget, but that rifle is intended for long distance shooting, so why not go with a real long distance scope? A 12-42 Nightforce Benchrest will serve him well, but nowhere near as pricey as a Comp, and lighter than an NSX.
What you want to avoid is buying a good hunting scope, then buying a second scope when you hit its limitations.
https://www.eurooptic.com/nightforce-br-benchrest-12-42x56-np2-dd-c107.aspx Note that this is not a crosshair reticle...

Last edited:
I can tell you what I have and what I want based on my experience, but that is what I want. He can get good glass with good reticles for $1000-$1400. That will be good, durable, tracks well, etc. It might not be the reticle that speaks to him long term. His eyes might get tired after looking through it for a while, but it will be something good enough to figure out where he wants to go...
Burris XTR, Vortex PST Gen 2, Meopta Optika6, Athlon Ares BTR, Athlon Chronus, Leupold VX5, SWFA SS,

Warning! This thread is more than 4 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.