Scope Opinions Wanted...Zeiss Diavari or Nightforce NSX??

Have you checked out the new vortex razor HD II series? In your price range and glass is supposed to be amazing and the scope very durable.

I found an awesome thread on Presisionrifle blog...did you guys see it?? Its unbelievable!

918 is totally on point. The NF has custom reticles available to match your load.
I went on NF's website and see that I can even buy a used NF scope and if its not exactly what I want, they can retrofit reticles, zero stop, etc.

Now 50mm or 56mm objective lense....

I found an awesome thread on Presisionrifle blog...did you guys see it?? Its unbelievable!

918 is totally on point. The NF has custom reticles available to match your load.
I went on NF's website and see that I can even buy a used NF scope and if its not exactly what I want, they can retrofit reticles, zero stop, etc.

Don't buy a used one in hopes of retrofitting it. The cost will be prohibitive given NF's high resale value and the cost of the knobs, reticle, and labor. Plus, you want the latest coatings which I think improve contrast tremendously. My NF is a late 2013 production scope. I dunno when the changeover occurred, but you want the latest greatest variant.

The 56mm one will be a little brighter and resolve a bit better, but will mount higher on your rifle depending on your setup. If you want the lowest possible mount, get the 50mm and then look for an appropriate base/ring combo.

Too bad I can't have the NF with the optical quality of the Diavari

You can, take a look at the ATACR.

I have a NXS 8-32 and while the optics are good, they're not great like the scopes on my hunting rifles which are a 2.5-10 swarovski and a 3-12 Meopta. A friend has an ATACR and the glass is notably better than the NXS. I haven't compared them side by side with my swarovski so I can't say if it's as good as zeiss or swarovski, but it's pretty danged good to my eyes.

You can, take a look at the ATACR.

I have a NXS 8-32 and while the optics are good, they're not great like the scopes on my hunting rifles which are a 2.5-10 swarovski and a 3-12 Meopta. A friend has an ATACR and the glass is notably better than the NXS. I haven't compared them side by side with my swarovski so I can't say if it's as good as zeiss or swarovski, but it's pretty danged good to my eyes.

How old is your NXS?

Are you comparing the 32x Nsx and the 10 power scopes both at the same magnification? You lose some of your light when in high mag ranges.

I can say though that a br shooter at my local range let me look through his 50x nightforce br competition scope. I could see the contours of the blades of grass at 200. I started searching for a nightforce to fit my needs that night.

I'm comparing the NXS 8-32 to my friend's 5-25 ATACR.

Specifically the clarity and color rendition isn't quite as crisp in the NXS, and the ATACR handles glare a bit better.

The NXS glass is pretty good and to be honest I think entirely too much is made of nitpicking glass quality in high end tactical type scopes. However, the OP did ask about a NXS vs. a Zeiss Diavari and to be honest the glass is going to be a bit better in the Diavari. How much better and if it makes any difference is debatable. I have a couple of hunting scopes with really good glass (the swaro and meopta) that top out at 10X and 12X respectively and were bought for low light use, the poster who said you can't compare a 10X and 32X is correct, they're different beasts & the mechanics of making a good 32X scope are different than making a good image at 10X. Obviously the exit pupil becomes a huge player when cranking up the magnification to 32X in lower light situations. I also feel that glass quality really only becomes a player in low light situations while hunting, during daylight most anything will do and choosing a scope for daylight shooting because it give you better color rendition is kind of silly, you're not taking pictures through the thing. The OP said he was planning on hunting with it so low light performance could be a factor for him with this scope which is why it might be worth splitting hairs over optics quality to him.

I'm not bashing my NXS, I love it and it does exactly what I bought it for which is let me hit little targets with my 6BR at crazy ranges with boring regularity while maintaining rock solid adjustment no matter which way I spin the turrets. However, it's not on the rifle I reach for when I want to hunt deer over a plot and might need to pick a good buck out of the shadows at last light. I pull out the 7mm rem mag with the fat reticled Swarovski PH on it for that. I don't use that rifle when I want to shoot prairie dogs at 600 yds either though.

I'm just wondering if the magnification range has anything to do with it. The NXS, I think, is optimized as a 3-15/5-22 scope. Using that erector design in an 8-32 might be stretching things a bit.

If you are going to use this rifle primerally for hunting I would go with NSX 3.5-15x50 MOAR or NP1 rather than 5.5-22x56. The latter is better for target shooting and small targets only in my opinion.

Zeiss is good optic but NSX is better for LRH because of its reticle and turrets.

Heya Ingwe... I was going to post that review for you until I noticed you already checked it out. I used it to help me decide on my next scope. And like you I was capping myself at the 2k limit. I was looking really hard at the Valdada and the bushnell 3.5-21. Ended up finding the bushnell for $1400 with the larue 111 qd mount and a level... Offered $1250 and it was accepted. So I ended up spending less than 1k for the scope (because the mount & level would run me bit over $250). In the end, I just didn't think the difference between the Valdada and the bushie was worth the additional $750. I'll find out this Saturday when it gets here.

That article was very helpful though in assisting me with sorting it all out. The Actar would have been my choice if I liked sfp scopes, but I love ffp now that I've had one for a while, so sfp scopes just weren't on the menu for me. Won't ever buy another sfp. Others feel exactly the opposite. Were I you... I'd definitely be 100% sure of your preference on ffp vs sfp before laying down your money on a great scope!

Good luck and I will be excited to hear about what you decide on... and what you think once you get it.

Warning! This thread is more than 10 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.