scope moving in rings

backstrape

Hello everyone I'm new here. I have enjoyed reading a lot of your article. They have been a lot of good help. I have a problem myself now with my scope sliding in my rings. This is a borden light weight rifle. 338rum.it has a break. It has a borden 20 moa rail.ken farrell rings. With a 22oz marchscope. Rings have been torqued down to 20"lb.after 10 shots it had slide back 3/16".any suggestions would be appreciated.

PS: if you can't tell. I am no computer person.sorry

Thanks

Maybe you just need to tighten the rings down harder. Since the scope is moving, evidently the rings aren't close to being over-tight. If that isn't the problem maybe you could use something to shim under the rings to tighten it up such as tape. And lastly you may have to invest in a different set of rings.

Maybe you just need to tighten the rings down harder. Since the scope is moving, evidently the rings aren't close to being over-tight. If that isn't the problem maybe you could use something to shim under the rings to tighten it up such as tape. And lastly you may have to invest in a different set of rings.

As Gunpoor stated...tighten the rings up, If yo dont have a micrometer wrench for the screws on the rings...then GET ONE.!

Make sure the ID or the rings are clean...free of lube...etc...and slowly tighten them up

Thanks for the advice. What do you think a safe inch pound would be? Because manufacturer said 15 to 20"lb.and what would be the best rings made ?

Assuming your rings are concentric and planar and all you need to do is tighten them down can be a costly assumption. Lap them lightly so you know they're right and unless they're cut oversize your problem will go away.

The first time that I had this to happen I called Ken and talked to him. Because I had lapped them he won't ed me to send them back to him.I did and he sent me a new set that he had doubled inspected.told me I wouldn't have to lap this.I checked them with my sinclair scope ring aliment tool.they were perfect. So I tighten then down with my micrometer wrench to 20"lb. I will b calling him Monday morning. In the meantime I was wondering if I was missing something or if anyone else had a problem with his rings. I had talley on it for 3 years before no problem. But it was only a 15oz scope.went to this set up to shoot 1000 yrds

backstrape

I usually stick some golf club grip tape under the upper half of each ring so I don't have to torque the crap out of them to keep the scope from sliding. They never slide when you do that. You can get a 2 inch wide roll of the stuff at golf stores. Don't get the water activated grip tape - use the normal stuff and don't activate it. This stuff is double stick and very thin once you take the backing off the tape.

By the way, the reason I started putting grip tape on rings was because of the Burris Zee Signature rings. They tend to slip and that is if you take the oil they are soaked in off the inserts. I just put together a new rifle (270 WSM - no brake) and I decided NOT to put the grip tape on to see if they had maybe improved them. The scope slid the first time out. The grip tape cured that of course. Don't get me wrong, I love the Burris rings and use them on everything except my classic Sakos which have integral dovetail bases. You can use adapters and Burris Zee Signatures on a Sako but it is cleaner to go with a clamp on base - and I put tape under those rings as well - more to prevent scope marking but also slippage which will lead to scope marks.

By the way, the reason I started putting grip tape on rings was because of the Burris Zee Signature rings. They tend to slip and that is if you take the oil they are soaked in off the inserts. I just put together a new rifle (270 WSM - no brake) and I decided NOT to put the grip tape on to see if they had maybe improved them. The scope slid the first time out. The grip tape cured that of course. Don't get me wrong, I love the Burris rings and use them on everything except my classic Sakos which have integral dovetail bases. You can use adapters and Burris Zee Signatures on a Sako but it is cleaner to go with a clamp on base - and I put tape under those rings as well - more to prevent scope marking but also slippage which will lead to scope marks.

That's very interesting. I've never had them slip. In fact, they actually clamp tighter on my scopes; nothing moves and I still have room to torque if I wanted to - not a good idea of course. I think those differences in our experiences are a good example of why not all of our solutions are universally sound.

Warning! This thread is more than 10 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.