Scope mounts

jimisbell

Is it a good idea to remove the scope from the rifle when putting it in the case at the end of the day? I would think that taking it off the rifle and then putting it back on the next time you used it would cause a loss of accuracy because you cant be sure you are getting it back in the right place so it would require sighting it in again.

That's something I've never done even with my QR mounts. Zero it, shoot it, store it, and repeat. But, truthfully.I don't sight my hunting rifle in every year unless I suspect something impacted the scope. Handle your rifle with care and use a good gun case.

Listen to your instinct on that one JB.
The only time I remove a scope is 1. I'm positive it's bad. 2. I'm sharing a scope with another rifle and 3. I'm upgrading the scope, rings or mounts.
Anytime a scope is removed or adjusted in the rings the rifle should be shot to determine it's zero is where you desire it.
During hunting season I try really hard to shoot the rifle that I'm using at least once per week. This gives me confidence in my scope/rifle, its zero and to make sure nothing wacky has gone on (i.e. someone played with my elevation turret). Might just be my paranoia. I've missed a couple of respectable, stud whitetails because somehow my scope was off.

Bad idea. If you're concerned about the scope getting knocked around with the rifle, get a heavy duty hard case.

I have a switch barrel setup with 5 barrels and 5 scopes all with quick release mounts. I sight it in every time I switch and 95 percent of the time it's not off over an inch at 100.

Warning! This thread is more than 4 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.