Scope Mounting

bob4

Well had part of a day at the range go south due to a loose scope at the rings. Leupold rings and bases on a 300WM. I certainly should have checked screws but never had this happen before. Scopes probably been on almost a yr. I use blue Loctite on the screws but 1 was pretty loose and 3 were not loose but questionable and the scope shifted forward plenty. Enough to put marks all the way around the tube about 1/2 inch. Sad...
I shoot off a led sled and someone at the range mentioned this was a bit harder on a scope. Not sure I swallow that. Opinions?
I imagine those in the know check scope mounts regularly ? Pretty sure I learned a good lesson here today.

I do believe the led sled will transfer more of the recoil to the scope. I've seen several shooters have their scope move forward on a sled. That captured energy has to go somewhere.

Maybe Leopold has gotten better lately but I am not a fan of the theirs from years past. IMO bagger ordnance or Nightforce will serve you better. I've even had good luck with cheaper tps rings

I guess I've been using Leupold rings because they are available here locally. Are Night Force rings built to a better tolerance? If I tried them are my Leupold bases OK? I've never have done and ring lapping, is it really worth it ?

Are Nightforce rings built better? I think they are since they don't recommend lapping and their premium series require 95 inch pounds of torque on the cross bolt fasteners (titanium) vs 65 inch pounds on most other manufacturer premium scope mounts.

I've never had to lap any Nightforce or badger rings steel or aluminum. It's just not worth it to me to buy anything but good rings.

To me it makes sense to buy quality rather then to buy less expensive then buy a tool to try and make a lesser quality better.
I think I'll try another set of Signature Z rings w/inserts . Had a set on a scope once that windage was all but used up zeroing. They worked wonders for that. Probably a scope issue then but bought it used.

I've got many scopes mounted up with Burris Signature Zee rings. They are capable of solving many problems and don't mar the scope tube. I have never experienced a scope slipping in the rings either, even though I use them on a few heavy magnum rifles.

I do, however, have one complaint. The skinny little cross-bolt screw with the tiny torx head is wholly inadequate for the job. I have had several strip when trying to remove them. A stripped screw in this location is very difficult to get out. Everything is just too **** small.

It would be very easy for Burris to just use the next screw size up with a larger torx head or a different head all together. I have suggested this to Burris on each occasion that I had to drill out a screw. Apparently they don't agree. lol

Varmint Hunter,

When I first started using the insert rings I called Burris to find out what to tighten them to. The guy told me to "twist them off". On the last screw something snapped. It was the torx wrench. Part of the wrench was in the screw head.

That makes two very foolish people. Me for ignorance and him for maybe being stupid.

Varmint Hunter,

When I first started using the insert rings I called Burris to find out what to tighten them to. The guy told me to "twist them off". On the last screw something snapped. It was the torx wrench. Part of the wrench was in the screw head.

That makes two very foolish people. Me for ignorance and him for maybe being stupid.
That's kinda funny actually. But I can't believe you torqued so hard on a ring screw that it snapped a wrench. If it was me not so long ago I might have took the soso advice and done the same. Hopefully the scope survived.

bob4,
Using Burris plastic insert rings have never caused me a problem, outside of having to pick out that broken "wrench". They seem to grip hard and not mar scope surfaces.

One time, for entertainment, I sighted in a new scope by picking and choosing different + and - inserts and rotating them to get the reticle moved to where the impact was. Tedious, though.

Warning! This thread is more than 6 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.