Scope mounting: Should I Lap or Bed my Mounting System?

ADMIN

Administrator
ADMIN submitted a new Article:

By Jim See

The picture is of a very expensive action and a bolted and pinned on rail from the same company. On top of it is a precision ground parallel.
View attachment 89995
You can clearly see at the back of the rail there is a small gap between parallel and rail where the rail drops away from the parallel.

We can assume from this there is some crown in the rail. I could have the...

Read more about this article here...

Great article! Just starting to do more of this stuff myself. Time to get some JB weld and bed all my scopes. I'll start with the 22 for practice and work my way up to the STW. Haha

Your suggestion is one approach. The solution I use, works well for me. I use the Burris Signature Zee Rings with the spherical plastic inserts that align the scope to the rings and base during tightening. I use them on long range rifles, 6xc, 6.5x284, 270WSM, 338 Win Mag, 30-06, etc.

I am also a big fan of the Burris Signature rings. If the scope does not have enough adjustments to zero, you can use the different thickness inserts to get it to zero without having to shim bases. A big plus on customers guns. Also protects the scope from ring marks. No need to lap rings. Have used them on 458's with no scope slippage.

Your suggestion is one approach. The solution I use, works well for me. I use the Burris Signature Zee Rings with the spherical plastic inserts that align the scope to the rings and base during tightening. I use them on long range rifles, 6xc, 6.5x284, 270WSM, 338 Win Mag, 30-06, etc.
I to have used Zee rings and they work very well.

I would also like to know what release agent you would use if any, and what type of epoxy do you use? I have various types of epoxy but most are for heavy field applications and are VERY permanent and bond to ridiculous amounts. Thanks for the info and article.

Another Burris signature Z ring vote. No muss, no fuss. No ring marks ever, self aligned. Mechanically very secure. They give me enough extra Moa to Dial-a-mile. Low cost and they look good.

Thanks for the article. I bed receivers, and scope rails. Never thought of the ring/scope surface for extra insurance.

This is a very good article written by Jim who I know personally. Jim looks deeply into the rifle and if you will, actually sees the blueprint. He is very meticulous in his setups and demands accuracy. I would trust Jim with any decision he makes. The Center Shot Rifle Jim built for me produces .175" groups.

Jim
Great article. Short and simple. This is the way that I try to present information and occasionally manage, the first time around. Please keep it up.

re. Signature Zee rings. On Thursday, 3 March I picked up my 30mm rings! It only took our local distributor, Beretta NZ, thirteen months and three weeks to supply them. Now I can mount my S & B 8x56.

Last edited:
Good information. I believe that many good rails and scopes have been unknowingly damaged to various degrees due to improper mounting.

I will take any good info such as this to prevent such a mistake.

Warning! This thread is more than 6 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.