Scope mounting: Is my scope too far back?

CleanShot

Hello

i'm just learning how to mount my own scopes so forgive my stupid questions. I have a DNZ mount to make the job easier. To determine how far forward to put the scope, I put it on the highest power then I slowly moved it back until I got got a full sight picture. However my scope looks like this:
attachment.php

Is it too far back?

Thanks
Sam

Attachments

• IMG_3607.jpg
    IMG_3607.jpg
    130.2 KB · Views: 583
Nice setup. I have some Savages and a Sightron scope. Good stuff.

The scope doesn't look to far back to me. The eyepiece usually ends up somewhere around the front part of the hand grip and that's where this one appears to be.

I adjust scope position with the scope set to it medium power. This seems to give me the best compromise between low and full power.

It is all in the way you shoot. some guy's put there head forward into the scope.Me when i set my scope up i just pull the rifle up in to my shoulder and tilt my head over and I have full view in my scope.When I am hunting its a lot faster to get on target I dont have to try to get my head in the right spot to get full view in the scope I tilt my head and its there.My dad tought me that and I tought my son.gun)

It looks too far back to me, but with the bolt missing, it's difficult to gauge. It really depends on your cheek weld in your most important shooting position. If you shoot prone most often, for example, be sure to set the scope location when you're in the prone position.

I tell shooters to close their eyes, get a solid grip and comfortable cheek weld, and then open their eye and tell me what they see. Then I adjust the scope location to give them a full field of view. If they need to raise their head to see through the scope I have them install a cheek pad to get to the correct height.

Nice setup. I have some Savages and a Sightron scope. Good stuff.

The scope doesn't look to far back to me. The eyepiece usually ends up somewhere around the front part of the hand grip and that's where this one appears to be.

I adjust scope position with the scope set to it medium power. This seems to give me the best compromise between low and full power.

Thanks!

Yeah it's a Savage 10 Predator Hunter with a Sightron SIII 6-24x50 FFP MH scope. At 24x that thing really needs to come back to be able to get a good sight picture. I think I might need another Triad Stock Pack though. I feel a little low on the stock for a good cheek weld.

It looks too far back to me, but with the bolt missing, it's difficult to gauge. It really depends on your cheek weld in your most important shooting position. If you shot prone most often, for example, be sure to set the scope location when you're in the prone position.

I tell shooters to close their eyes, get a solid grip and comfortable cheek weld, and then open their eye and tell me what they see. Then I adjust the scope location to give them a full field of view. If they need to raise their heads to see you brought the scope I have them install a cheek pad to get to the correct height.

I'll try this. Thanks for the tip.

Warning! This thread is more than 9 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.