Scope mount advice for Remington 760 Gamemaster

Yeagerds

Hello all:

Very new here, and hoping for some advice.

I recently inherited my grandfather's Remington Gamemaster 760 in 30-06 Springfield. This gun is pristine, family lore has it that it has not yet been fired.

I bought a Redfield revolution 4-12x40 and a Leupold single base and medium height rings. With this gear, it seems the scope is too far forward from the butt plate to comfortably get my eye close enough to the scope unless I can remove the rear iron sight and move the scope back in the rings about an inch. The iron sight prevents the objective end of the scope from being moved back with this mount hardware.

If anyone knows how to remove the rear ramp sight, or can recommend a better mounting solution, I would greatly appreciate the advice.

Thanks,

Dave

Lately I've taken to updating ours with a rail on top, it's not a clean looking as the Leupold dovetail mount but it is far more adjustable and you can move the scope exactly where you want it.

If I remember correctly it should just be two screws to remove the rear sight, my grandfather's 760 has an old 3-9 wide field Redfield on it which is short enough it doesn't interfere with it so I never removed it.

Just pulled it out of the safe to check, two screws removed and you're in the clear.

Weaver base on mine and I think I take the open sights off.

I looked and open sights still mounted. I use smaller scopes though and the rear open sight is a couple inches in front of the scope. Used to have a 3-9x40 scope on it as well and no interference with open sights. Currently has a Vortex Viper 2-7. Your scope is only 12.3" long, can't see how the objective end is beyond the rear sight. Is this rifle an original early run with the spring steel and ramp rear? Maybe it's mounted farther back than mine. A pic rail might be best.

33718218_4.jpg

Based on this photo I can see possible interference with sight and no way to move scope back farther. Pic rail would be best. This rifle is even using a magazine from a 742, hmmm.

I have a Remington Model Six which is a newer model of the 760, the scope I have on it is a Vortex Viper HS-LR 2.5-10 x 32, it's a fairly short scope but I put a pic rail on the rifle and it works great have about 1-1/2" from the objective to the rear sight, it's probably your best bet to just use a pic rail.

Unless you are wedded to the scope on it, get one if the new 1-6 or 1-8X straight tube scopes. For years I used the 1-4 Leupolds on my rifled 12 Ga 870. A deadly killer out to 100 yards.

Warning! This thread is more than 4 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.