scope lost zero when maxed out

30 clicks is a lot to lose. You either spun the turret without actually adjusting elevation, or damaged something internally.

Did you reset zero and try a tracking test afterwards? I have heard of people spinning the turret with no damage to internals, but have never had it happen myself on a scope. I have maxed out my Leupold 6.5-20, Vortex Viper HS, Steiner T5Xi, and Kahles K624i with no ill effects.
^^^^^^^ As it should be!

A lot of you have a lot more tolerance for treating things with kid gloves than I do. I had similar experiences as the OP with a couple of Gold Rings - treat them gingerly and they'll work. I also had 2 Swarovski that went wonky if twisted too far and brought back -I found out later that it was a well known issue at the time - something about thier spring arrangement to the erector, IIRC.

I moved on to more robustly designed scopes and haven't looked back. Finicky gear isn't worth the time.

30 clicks is a lot to lose. You either spun the turret without actually adjusting elevation, or damaged something internally.

Did you reset zero and try a tracking test afterwards? I have heard of people spinning the turret with no damage to internals, but have never had it happen myself on a scope. I have maxed out my Leupold 6.5-20, Vortex Viper HS, Steiner T5Xi, and Kahles K624i with no ill effects.
The only scope that I ever had that wouldnt hold zero was a Leupold that a horse fell on. Leupold fixed that one. Their wait time vary at different times of the year. Lots of people don't discover they have a problem til just before it's time to hunt so I'd think this would be a busy time. My repair took 3 weeks.

I assume your "mark 4" is a Leupold Mark IV. Any time my scope looses its zero it goes back to the manufacturer for a tune up. While you're waiting for the repaired/inspected scope to return home, pick up a good 20 moa base for that rifle. Careful not to crank too hard on the ends of the turret adjustments limiters.
It shouldn't do it no matter what

Seems that whatever reason Leupold sets there zero stop up to 38moa.
Stupid!!
Seems like a different scope is in order
So what radical do you have in your scope? If you have Moa hash marks then when you're maxed out just count up what you need for the shot. I had to do this at a shoot a couple of weeks ago when I was shooting a mile with my 6.5 creed

Wow, this is an old thread. But, since it has been resurrected, I have a lot more experience with dialing a scope to its limits.
I have numerous Tangent Theta TT315M which is a dual turn 6MIL elevation knob, whether you have a 0, 20, or 40MOA rail. You ONLY get two turns, or 12MIL total elevation travel.

I dial all of them to the max, and still need some holdover almost monthly (1400-1500+ yards). I have seen no ill-effects in these scopes either.

My 143 ELD-X load 3006 FPS is 35.8 MOA at 1250.

My original inquiry was if running a scope on the edge of its internal elevation will put additional stress on the erector.
When the elevation is close to maximum erector tube spring tension is near minimum & optical quality might be compromised as the reticle is far off center.

I shoot a 6.5 CM, 8 twist, with 140-147's at 2650-2800 - not as flat as 6.5 PRC. My scope is a low budget Sightron, STAC 4-20X50, 30mm tube, MOA2 reticle. I have a 20MOA rail & Burris 30mm Sig rings with eccentric inserts. This allows the scope to be mounted with the reticle close to center (elevation & windage) with maximum reticle elevation adjustment & little optic compromise. Good & complete spring tension thru out elevation adjustments. I use hash marks above horizontal cross hair for targets under 200 yards. Should I run out of elevation adjustments I can use hash marks below horizontal cross hair but need to remember to have the scope set at 20X, 2nd focal plane scope.

Wow, this is an old thread. But, since it has been resurrected, I have a lot more experience with dialing a scope to its limits.
I have numerous Tangent Theta TT315M which is a dual turn 6MIL elevation knob, whether you have a 0, 20, or 40MOA rail. You ONLY get two turns, or 12MIL total elevation travel.

I dial all of them to the max, and still need some holdover almost monthly (1400-1500+ yards). I have seen no ill-effects in these scopes either.given your use profile, I'm surprised that you don't go for something with more than 12 mil

What you have is obviously working well for you, but given your use profile, I'm kinda surprised you don't use scopes that yield more than 12 mils.

Have you tried others and just weren't pleased with the results?

What you have is obviously working well for you, but given your use profile, I'm kinda surprised you don't use scopes that yield more than 12 mils.

Have you tried others and just weren't pleased with the results?
I have plenty of other high end scopes. The five TT315M are on lightweight hunting rifles. In my opinion, probably the BEST hunting scope ever made.

Premier Heritage Light Tactical 3-15×50 (the TT315M predecessor)
Premier Heritage 5-25×56
2 @ ZCO 420 4-20×50
S&B PMII 3-20×50 MTC/LT
S&B PMII 3-20×50 US
S&B PMII 5-20×50 US
Kahles K318i 3-18×50

I have owned numerous other Alpha scopes and a few lesser scopes over the years as well.
S&B PMII 5-25×56 DT
Kahles K624i 6-24×56
March F 3-24×52
Vortex Razor Gen 1 5-20×50
Vortex Razor Gen 2 4.5-27×56
Vortex AMG 6-24×50
Steiner T5Xi 5-25×56
Sightron SIII 6-24×50
SWFA SS 5-20×50
Leupold Vari-X III LR 6.5-20×50
Several lower end Vortex
And a myriad of *** cheap scopes

My beef is maybe I want to shoot the steel at 1250 at my range with my hunting rifle. The Zeiss Conquest V6 3-18 x 50 allows me to do that with 103 internal MOA elevation adjustment and no "limiter" per se like the CDS-ZL2 turret on the 3-15x44 VX5HD.

The 4-20x52 VX5HD has a 3 rotation turret for a total of 60 MOA elevation adjustment. It has the CDS-ZL3 turret.