Scope lens protection

jackem

Is it just me or do any of the rest of you gentlemen have problem with the search function? I do search before I ask a question but so far no joy searching.

Just got my first NF scope and absolutely love it --- except for the rubber stretch scope caps that came with it. (5.5 ~ 22 x 50)

I just got home with a pr of see through Butler Creek caps but I'm returning them due to fit. They will fit but so tight they will not stay closed. The next size up is too loose according to the retailer where I purchased them.(?)

Also, a flip up cap on the eyepiece lens seems like a non starter if it has to be removed when turning in zoom power?

I know this minor stuff but the devil is in the details.

Thanks Fellas

Jack

NF scopes are notorious for not being a good fit with flip ups due to the rotating eye piece. No real answer for you - that's just how it is.

I use a Scope Coat when I can, and just accept the risk of damage otherwise. I'm not too worried about it because I trust the scope's durability and then NF's service if I have to use it.

NomadPilot Thanks for that. Is the Scope Coat secure enough to stay on when pulling the rifle out of a scabbard like the Eberlestock packs?

Jack

Mine is. I put their XP-6 on my 3.5-15x50 and the bell and eyepiece both fit well. It's very slightly loose on the sides because it has to fit over the windage/focus turrets, but it's never tried to come off on me.

Also, check your bell-barrel clearance before you buy. I could not use a scopecoat on another rifle because the scope was too close to the barrel.

Warning! This thread is more than 12 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.