Scope issues....help

I should have added that for a 20 minute rail, once the scopes turrets are centered, you need to dial it 20 min DOWN to compensate for the tilt of the rail. If you use one of the colimators that goes into the bore to zero the scope, you should count how many minutes you adjust down from the center. You have 37.5 available and should only be using 20+- a few more.

I have a new Savage 111LRH in 300 Win mag. I have a EGW one piece picatinny rail and a new vortex HS LR 4-16x50 FFP scope. I mounted it properly, lapped the rings (vortex HS quick release rings) and torqued it all. Took it to the range and looked down the bore at 100 yards, then tried to get the crosshairs even close. It's all the way down and not even close to the target, way too high. What do I do? Thanks.

Are you saying the elevation turret is bottomed out and looking thru the scope and bore the crosshairs are high? I may be misunderstanding but if that is the case then start cranking the elevation up. The crosshairs actually move opposite of what the turret says when looking through the scope. Dialing up on the turret moves the crosshairs down. Dialing left moves the crosshairs right.

My understanding is that he adjusted them to be closer to the target but ran out of travel before he got there. Its so far off that it can't possibly be the right rail. One only wonders how the screw pitch for the rail would match up though? I'm trying to think who else has a cylindrical receiver nowadays ? The TC single shot rifles and who else ?

Of course the LGS saleman tried to sell me a pre-accutrigger rail for my cylindrical action gun. Good thing I checked it before I left... The flat section for the rear of the receiver sure would throw off your aiming point alright....

Well lets see what the OP has to say. I was assuming and could be wrong but he said he looked down the bore at 100 and tried to move the crosshairs closer. I was assuming he was looking at the crosshairs in the scope while keeping the bore centered on the target and trying to get them closer. If this is the case then moving the turret up from the bottomed out position the OP stated would move his crosshairs down and closer to his target.

Ok well i am out of town for work so i can't verify some of the questions/ things asked but i will feel pretty stupid if that is the case. Nice and easy if it is but i can honestly say that although i did look through the scope while turning the elevation turret more than a couple of rotations, it didn't seem to be moving down but maybe because i was thinking "up" on the turret meant up on the crosshairs? Do i get some award for dumbest question asked?

One of the screwy things to wrap your head around when you use scopes....

When you adjust your scope turret "up", it moves the cross hairs down, which causes you to raise the bore to hit higher. Makes sense ?

If you rotate the turret "down" it raises the crosshairs causing you to lower the barrel and hit lower.

A 20 MOA rail should tilt the scope down 20 min, thereby raising the bore by 20min when the scope is horizontal (which is how you get the "extra" 20 min of elevation for long range). So, with the scope centered and sitting on a 20min rail and the barrel pointed at the target, the scope should be pointing below the target at close range. If you point the scope at the target, you should be hitting 20 min high. Therefore after fitting the scope, you would expect to dial the turret "down" 20 min to compensate for the rail tilt. At this point you should be at the same point you would be at if you installed a scope on a "flat" rail.

Now sight in as normal.

If, when you did the boresight, the scope was pointed above the target, it suggests the scope rail was reversed and pointing upwards instead of downwards. You should still have been able to zero it, but then you would only have 17min of elevation left which is not very useful.

Once you have your scope zeroed, you can forget this for a while. Then up, down, left and right move the point of impact in those directions.

I've heard that being Polish helps........:) My ex was polish. She did everything backwards but she could cook. My current is German. No matter what she does, it's always right.....

Westcliffe..... You could have brought that rail by the shop and I'd have profile milled the receiver radius in plus we could have adjusted the cant to whatever you wanted.

My first wife was German, whatever "she" did was "always right". My second wife is American and from Chicago and I think it will not be long before I am on my own again... I'm in the process of renovating the house so it can go on the market... Long list, I'm thinking next spring.

I'd like to sell my rentals. They are a PITA but the market is zip. Both are nice homes on acreage, both brick with central air but I despise renters. They always have an excuse for everything and at my age, I'm not tolerant of BS. Maybe by next spring, things will loosen up a bit.

Interestingly, my wife is from suburban Chicago as well. Joilet to be exact.

When we go to visit, I always leave my pistol in the dresser, at home.

Chicago has always been bad, especially Cook County. My cousin (on the wife's side) lives in New Lennox (near Joilet) and hunts and has to go through all kinds of crap just to have long guns, let alone shorter ones....

Well returned home from work, caught a break in the snow and wind and took the rifle to the range. It was operator error, not the equipment. Started the barrel break-in and got it sited at 100 yards roughly. Thanks for all the help.:)

Warning! This thread is more than 12 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.