Scope issue

magedon44

I need a little advice . My 300wm is zered at 200 yards and shoots on average 1/2 moa . Last night my dad and I went shooting , the evening was very very calm and with his rife at 750 yds I shot a 3 round 4.5 inch group holding no wind and got direct hits on the steel .

I then grabbed my gun , 750 yds held no wind , checked my level . Squeezed the trigger and had a 3 round 5 inch group that was centered 12 inches to the right. This is the second time my rifle has shot to the right at the 750 yard mark. We shot my gun and dads gun back to back and wind is out of the equation.

My question is , is this a scope level issue , spin drift , or what? I've heard about sighting in 1/2 inch left at 200 yards or canting scope level 3'degrees to make up for spin drift .... I'm just learning this game and need a little advice on how to get this taken care of.

Thanks guys!

Last edited:
At that distance spin drift would only be around 2 inches, less than your 12" error. I would suspect that your scope is canted left. The fairly tight 5" group would suggest that you are leveling your crosshairs fairly consistently. My suggestion would be to set up a tall target at 100 yards that has a 20-30" plumbed verical line with a target dot at the bottom. Shoot one group at the lower dot, then another 20-30 MOA elevated either with your turret or reticle(you didn't specify your elevation method). It's important that your rifle is consistenly level when doing this. Many use a scope level once everything is plumbed up. Once you are perfectly aligned you have the option of either building in cant for spin drift which is approximately .5MOA, or just correcting at the shot with a windage adjustment. While doing this tall test, you also have the option to check your scopes click value accuracy by measuring the distance between the two groups and comparing the that actual distance against the number of elevation clicks.

At that distance spin drift would only be around 2 inches, less than your 12" error. I would suspect that your scope is canted left. The fairly tight 5" group would suggest that you are leveling your crosshairs fairly consistently. My suggestion would be to set up a tall target at 100 yards that has a 20-30" plumbed verical line with a target dot at the bottom. Shoot one group at the lower dot, then another 20-30 MOA elevated either with your turret or reticle(you didn't specify your elevation method). It's important that your rifle is consistenly level when doing this. Many use a scope level once everything is plumbed up. Once you are perfectly aligned you have the option of either building in cant for spin drift which is approximately .5MOA, or just correcting at the shot with a windage adjustment. While doing this tall test, you also have the option to check your scopes click value accuracy by measuring the distance between the two groups and comparing the that actual distance against the number of elevation clicks.

I have a Huskemaw 5-20 so I dial out . I'll have to try this out . Thanks Greyfox!

lots of wind can change in flight across 750 yards. Winds may be consistent at the shooting location but completely different down range. Wind is never out of the equation.

Warning! This thread is more than 9 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.