Scope ideas

jtr1997

I have a tikka t3 lite ss 300 wsm, and am looking for scopes. I am interested in a nikon monarch 3, vortex viper hst, and the nightforce shv, all in the 4-14 power range. What do you guys think about the scope i mentioned or any other ideas, thanks

Assuming you are wanting to shoot long range, I would not go with a Nikon...just my preference. If you go Vortex I think the PST is the way to go. The Nightforce would be good but I didn't care for the turrets. I would suggest a Sightron SIII 6-24. I have one on a 300wm and love it. It has 100 MOA elevation and I believe the Viper line has around 75.

I like the Viper Hst. It is a very good scope and has worked pretty well for me. But that being said I like the Nightforce SHV a little better. Mainly because of the larger objective that brings in more light in the lower light situations. And I like the MOAR reticle on the Nightforce a little better than the Vortex reticle. I don't think that you can go wrong with either.

I know I push this scope a lot but the Leupold vx-6 in the 3x18x50 or the 4x24x52 are great scopes, optically they'll stick with the SHV and I would take over the others! Just my opinion! They have I believe about 60 MOA.

I just bought a Nightforce SHV for my .270WSM, I haven't mounted it on my rifle yet, as my rings have not arrived. But what I can tell you about it is, it's build like a tank compared to any of the Leupold's I own, and I have five of them. I opted for the MOA reticle with center only illumination, I can see this is going to be a big benefit to me in lower light conditions. The 30mm tube and 56mm objective makes this scope very bright, and the picture quality is excellent, they did not skimp on glass in this scope.

I would suggest going to your local sporting goods dealer and taking a look at the scope's you mentioned, they are all quality optics. And ultimately its your decision that will dictate what you buy. But if ruggedness is a deciding factor, then take a good look at the Nightforce for build and quality ...I was sold on it, good luck and happy shopping!

looked through all nightforce is own a completly different level well worth the extra money

my **** Tikka ultra lite in 3006 with a Sightron 3-9 mildot has scoped me more times than I care to remember. Last weekend it got me again and its hard to maintain MOA past 600 yards with the thick x hairs and 9x.
So......just like you I'm looing for a lite scope with more power and MORE EYE RELIEF! I aint putting a 2# scope on a 6# gun unless I have to.
Let us know what you end up with as well as the good and bad.

my **** Tikka ultra lite in 3006 with a Sightron 3-9 mildot has scoped me more times than I care to remember. Last weekend it got me again and its hard to maintain MOA past 600 yards with the thick x hairs and 9x.
So......just like you I'm looing for a lite scope with more power and MORE EYE RELIEF! I aint putting a 2# scope on a 6# gun unless I have to.
Let us know what you end up with as well as the good and bad.

im not looking for a lightwieght scope im looking for the best glass. in your case swaravski z3 is a really clear and supper light

Warning! This thread is more than 10 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.