Scope ideas for hunting and Long Range Shooting

Brent21

I am trying to make my Bergara Premiere Ridgeback.300 WM my all around hunting/ long distance shooting rifle. I know that I will not be climbing tons of mountains and it will not shoot like the 6.5 CM or PRC, however I wanted one gun to cover two areas. Now I need a scope that will do the same. I am new to distance shooting but I feel FFP and MIL is the way I'm leaning. Help wanted and appreciated. Looking to keep cost below 2000.00.

If you would like a NF nxs 5.5-22x50 moar with capped windage I have a never mounted one available for under 2k... not ffp and mil but just wanna give you options ;)

There are a lot of scopes that fit that description. My favorite dual purpose is my Burris XTR II, 4-20x50. It's a reasonable weight at 30 ounces and you can get it with H59 reticle if you like those (I do). Also have a Vortex viper pst II 3-15x44 which is great dual purpose. It sits on my 7mmRM hunting rifle, and I've used it to 1866 yards on steel and it had enough adjustment range.

I have a PSTII 5-25 FFP that has been really good to me.

The gap in glass between $1k and $2k is weird, especially for FFP options and if weight is a concern which it often is for hunting - there aren't a lot, You might be able to get a used march for around $2k.

SFP scopes with excellent glass are plentiful in that Sub $2k range that are lightweight.

Last edited:
I'm in this position myself but I'm leaning toward SFP. FFP is great on scopes that top out over 12-16 but most FFP scopes on low power at low light have a basically useless reticle. I'm looking at the Zeiss V4 but if 2k were my budget I'd be looking at the V6 3-18x50. I'd rather have the glass for hunting scenarios

I'm in this position myself but I'm leaning toward SFP. FFP is great on scopes that top out over 12-16 but most FFP scopes on low power at low light have a basically useless reticle. I'm looking at the Zeiss V4 but if 2k were my budget I'd be looking at the V6 3-18x50. I'd rather have the glass for hunting scenarios
I just traded into a V6 5-30x50. I am working out of town this week so I haven't laid my eyes on it yet. I knew nothing about these scopes until now - all the research I have done leads me to believe I am going to be extremely happy with it.

I just traded into a V6 5-30x50. I am working out of town this week so I haven't laid my eyes on it yet. I knew nothing about these scopes until now - all the research I have done leads me to believe I am going to be extremely happy with it.

I think you'll be very pleased. The V4 feels good and has nice glass. The V6 turrets I've felt are super positive and the glass is very nice. I'm leaning toward their Christmas tree reticle but I'm not sure how it will contrast in low light compared to the standard duplex

I think you'll be very pleased. The V4 feels good and has nice glass. The V6 turrets I've felt are super positive and the glass is very nice. I'm leaning toward their Christmas tree reticle but I'm not sure how it will contrast in low light compared to the standard duplex
I think the one I am getting has the #43 mildot reticle, which I am pretty sure has been discontinued...I prefer a standard duplex for hunting, so the mil dots are just there to look cool I guess.

I am trying to make my Bergara Premiere Ridgeback.300 WM my all around hunting/ long distance shooting rifle. I know that I will not be climbing tons of mountains and it will not shoot like the 6.5 CM or PRC, however I wanted one gun to cover two areas. Now I need a scope that will do the same. I am new to distance shooting but I feel FFP and MIL is the way I'm leaning. Help wanted and appreciated. Looking to keep cost below 2000.00.
you might try the zeiss conquest in 5x25x50 for all around and long range

EuroOptic has a closeout on their Vortex. Not sure why they are doing that. I loved my Gen 2 Razor. I sold it along with the Tikka .260 Mcree Chasis etc I switched over to the NF ATACR and love it. Its mounted on a Sako .260 assassin's rifle. Hard to determine yet the advantages of the NF over the Vortex but in time the advantages of the NF will become apparent. My eyes are too old to see much difference. Who knows? maybe the glass was all made by the same Japanese company. Not sorry for the money paid for the NF. Won't be changing to any other scope ever. Get a PayPal account and you have six months to pay off the scope from EuroOptic with no interest. Wife won't even know about the cost of the scope.

EuroOptic has a closeout on their Vortex. Not sure why they are doing that. I loved my Gen 2 Razor. I sold it along with the Tikka .260 Mcree Chasis etc I switched over to the NF ATACR and love it. Its mounted on a Sako .260 assassin's rifle. Hard to determine yet the advantages of the NF over the Vortex but in time the advantages of the NF will become apparent. My eyes are too old to see much difference. Who knows? maybe the glass was all made by the same Japanese company. Not sorry for the money paid for the NF. Won't be changing to any other scope ever. Get a PayPal account and you have six months to pay off the scope from EuroOptic with no interest. Wife won't even know about the cost of the scope.
I have both vortex and night force, the biggest thing I noticed right off the bat was the reticles, the NF moar has a floating cross that I really like, I can put it right under the target without covering it up, both of my razors have moar's with solid lines so targeting is a bit harder. sorry for the crappy pic but I really like this reticle
reticle.png

Warning! This thread is more than 5 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.