Scope help needed

I have a Kimber .300 WSM Montana that shoots cloverleafs at 100 that I'm intending to be my main carrying rifle for all my western hunting. Am looking for a good scope that will fulfill LR requirements for the occasional 600-700 yard shot that might present itself. I would like to keep scope size down so that it doesn't up the weight or look unbalanced on the rifle. I do not have any experience with dial up turrets having resorted to estimated hold over thus far with my hunting, 414 being the longest shot I have taken on a mountain goat this year. Questions:
1) Will a 1 inch tube give me enough internal adjustment to dial in a 700 or (max for me at this point) 800 yard shot, or will I have to shim it to get that range?
2) Any suggestions as to particular scope model in a 3x/4x on the bottom end and 14x max on the top?
Any help is greatly appreciated. I've learned quite a bit from the members of this forum so Thanks to all.
Regards, Whip

1. Yes most scopes have at least 40 MOA in the elevation dial. If things line up perfect with standard mounts that will give you 20 up 20 down.

2. Any leupold with target turrets. I don't own one but a number of guys always suggest the buckmaster 4x14 by Nikon.

i would tell you to go with a leupold in the 3.5-10 or 4.5-14 power range. either of these would be more than powerful enough for shooting out to 700yds on big game. In stock right now I have a leup MK4 PR 3.5-10 mil dot that weighs 13.6oz. I think you will be hardpressed to find anything lighter than that. Email me if you want any pricing or have any more questions. THis scope would give you plenty of adjustment out to 700yds, it has 57moa of adjustment in all directions

take it easy
steve

Warning! This thread is more than 18 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.