Scope height off the barrel

Pa Grizz

I have heard for years about getting the scope as close to the barrel as possible.I have been the kind to just get medium rings and go.I have had good luck doing that,but have been rethinking it.How much differance would putting low rings on the guns thatwiill take them

The closer you can get the center line of the scope to the center line of the bore the better. If the lower rings get the center line of the scope closer to the center line of the bore, without the bell of the scope resting on the barrel, you'e got a winner.

The closer you can get the center line of the scope to the center line of the bore the better. If the lower rings get the center line of the scope closer to the center line of the bore, without the bell of the scope resting on the barrel, you'e got a winner.

Yep. I'll never understand why people want the scope to sit 3" above the barrel... It's not practical, kills function, doesn't look "right", and not to mention they must be Rocky Dennis to have cheeks that tall. LOL

Kind of like this image I found on google...

5c194eea.jpg

I am not talking like the differance between see thru mounts and low ring.Just between med and low rings

Yep. I'll never understand why people want the scope to sit 3" above the barrel... It's not practical, kills function, doesn't look "right", and not to mention they must be Rocky Dennis to have cheeks that tall. LOL

Kind of like this image I found on google...

5c194eea.jpg

Scope clearance/mounting on AR type platform is not the same as your common hunting rifle, esp. when scopes are mounted on carry handle.

Scope clearance/mounting on AR type platform is not the same as your common hunting rifle, esp. when scopes are mounted on carry handle.

I can't find the picture on google, but there was a picture posted on one of the forums I frequent of a bolt-action rifle that had rings sitting that high. I almost hit the floor laughing.

I agree,
those rings ar made for AR scope mounting,rings any lower than what's in the pic will not work on a AR. You have to bury your cheek so hard in the stock that its uncomfortable and very hard to shoot.

I have heard for years about getting the scope as close to the barrel as possible.I have been the kind to just get medium rings and go.I have had good luck doing that,but have been rethinking it.How much differance would putting low rings on the guns thatwiill take them
As a general rule I only want as much clearance as it takes to put on scope covers and not have them make contact with the barrel.

On short range/quick rifles and AR's by nature you want the optic higher for instant pickup.

Mostly what matters with a long range rig is having it set so that it's in the most natural position for you to pick up with your cheek resting comfortably on the rifle. That's going to vary depending on the platform.

Set your rig up to be comfortable and consistent and you will shoot better.

As a general rule I only want as much clearance as it takes to put on scope covers and not have them make contact with the barrel.

On short range/quick rifles and AR's by nature you want the optic higher for instant pickup.

Mostly what matters with a long range rig is having it set so that it's in the most natural position for you to pick up with your cheek resting comfortably on the rifle. That's going to vary depending on the platform.

Set your rig up to be comfortable and consistent and you will shoot better.

I know, I understand the concept of CQB, however, even the center aiming point of my EOTechs don't sit more than an 1"-1.5" above the top rail of my rifles. ACOGs also sit low like a regular scope.

I quess some others didn't understand the concept of me showing an "example" as an attempt at humor, and not a literal adaptation of what I was talking about.

I know, I understand the concept of CQB, however, even the center aiming point of my EOTechs don't sit more than an 1"-1.5" above the top rail of my rifles. ACOGs also sit low like a regular scope.

I quess some others didn't understand the concept of me showing an "example" as an attempt at humor, and not a literal adaptation of what I was talking about.
ACOGS have there mount integrated in the scope which is designed for a AR rifle. Which means its a high mount.
There was nothing humorous about the pic you posted. It is a properly set up AR.

That is a matter of an opinion. My opinion it looks too tall. Your opnion is it's correct. We'll agree to disagree. I'll still find my humor wherever I please, whether others find it funny or not. Fair enough?

As for ACOGs and EOTechs, yes, they're mounting base is made into the product...There's a reason it's only that high. Sure, you can add a spacer if it's too low for you, but there is a reason why they are manufactured at the height they are...Obviously majority of product testers found that to be the most comfortable height for those products that were designed PRIMARILY for the AR platform.

It's a product of design. The AR stock is inline with the barrel and bolt carrier for the buffer tube. That's the reason for the carry handle sights being so high. I'd be willing to bet if the buffer tube was not needed that there would be no carry handle in the design. Bolt actions have the barrel sitting above the stock cheek area. And sometimes need more elevation in the stock.

Warning! This thread is more than 10 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.