Scope height off the barrel

I assure you after thousands of rounds down range courtesy of US Gov. AR optics are mounted higher than bolt guns for a reason and its not a question of looks or..... understanding a concept for which you are not adequately practiced in. After becoming prof on that platform you will understand that it is not a bolt gun and proper form for that particular weapons system is not the same as a bolt gun.

That is a matter of an opinion. My opinion it looks too tall. Your opnion is it's correct. We'll agree to disagree. I'll still find my humor wherever I please, whether others find it funny or not. Fair enough?

As for ACOGs and EOTechs, yes, they're mounting base is made into the product...There's a reason it's only that high. Sure, you can add a spacer if it's too low for you, but there is a reason why they are manufactured at the height they are...Obviously majority of product testers found that to be the most comfortable height for those products that were designed PRIMARILY for the AR platform.
You don't shoot many AR's do you? You shouldn't comment on things you don't know.

I'll state it plainly: Scope height above the bore is an outcome. If the rifle is laid out straight-line fashion, like an AR, then the height from your cheek on the stock to your eye must result in a higher scope mount. If staggered, like most bolt-actions, lever-actions and such, then since the comb is lower than the bore, the scope can sit closer to the barrel as a result. When we start putting 50 and 56mm objective scopes on bolt guns, we generally have to raise the comb in order to preserve cheek-weld, an essential to good marksmanship. With heavy recoiling calibers, a straighter line relationship between bore and stock reduces felt recoil and muzzle jump. Form follows function. Choose accordingly.

Scope clearance/mounting on AR type platform is not the same as your common hunting rifle, esp. when scopes are mounted on carry handle.

Exactly.

169_6937_img.jpg

D101_1770_imgp.jpg

16326d1357034584-new-260-ar-img_0280.jpg

"How much differance would putting low rings on the guns thatwiill take them"

Pa,
I think it is subjective and up to the individual. For me; the diameter of the objective lens and comfort (to some extent) dictates my choice. I had my 2nd/3rd vertebrae fused several years ago, so I don't particularly like "stretching" my neck to look through my scope.
When setting up a new rifle or scope, I sometimes start out with medium rings. If I have, what I think/feel is too much elevation, I will measure the distance between the barrel and obj. lens. I then look up the heighth of low rings and med rings and note the difference. If this difference is smaller than the original number (barrel to obj. lens), then the low's will work.
I like 'em low. It's comfortable for me. Kinda like snuggling up with my wife at night. Nothing but good comes from either scenario's. If I'm comfortable behind the scope then I shoot much better.
Hope this helps. JohnnyK.

So no one really answered the question. The answer is that it comes down to a simple question of geometry. Picture a scope mounted 5 inches above the bore and one mounted 1/2 inch above the bore. Shift from a 50 yard shot to a 150 yard shot. Which do you think is going to be closer to on target if the caliber is .223? It's a very simple solution. You'll be shooting airplanes out of the air with a scope mounted 5 inches above the bore... Relatively speaking. The closer to the bore you mount the scope, the closer to on target you will be as your range increases or decreases... given most calibers.

I set my bolt guns so my objective lens clears the barrel by 3/16-1/8". My AR's are set up at the same level as the standard carry handle, open sight set up, very smikar to the OP's AR photo. This is required (at least for average physical structure), to align properly with the high comb design of AR.

Last edited:
RonS said:

"The closer to the bore you mount the scope, the closer to on target you will be as your range increases or decreases... given most calibers."

That statement is confusing and not totally true. The further apart the scope to bore the further away the second crossing point will be. It is old knowledge. I read about it in Jim Carmichael's book of the Rifle over 25 yrs ago. The scope and bore are not setup at the same angle. The bore has a higher angle above horizontal than the scope. As a result the aiming point and bullet trajectory will cross twice downrange.

Anyone with a ballistics program can crunch the numbers to see.

Usually the first crossing point is near 25 yds. I decided to see just how much difference there would be and crunched some numbers below:

I used JBM program to compare my 6mm BR's trajectory with a 105 Hybrid at 2843 fps
Elevation is 4000 ft, 59 degrees, 30% humidity etc. Zeroed for 25 yds.

Scope height second crossover point
1.5" 256 yd
1.6" 271 yds
1.7" 287 yds

I don't worry much about what height I place the scope on my bolt action rifles as long as I get a good comfortable cheek weld. I input the height above bore into the JBM program for my trajectory.

I once bought a pair of extra low talley one pc rings and discovered I couldn't comfortably get my face low enough on the bell and Carlson Ti stock to see through a 3.5-10 x 40 Leupold!

You don't shoot many AR's do you? You shouldn't comment on things you don't know.

HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA!!!!!!!! Now THAT is the funniest thing I've read all week.

You're right, I don't. I just lied and made up owning them so I would sound cool. No, I haven't built quite a few of them, have no idea the internal design, function, form, or how they work... Oh please teach me all you know... :rolleyes:

HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA!!!!!!!! Now THAT is the funniest thing I've read all week.

You're right, I don't. I just lied and made up owning them so I would sound cool. No, I haven't built quite a few of them, have no idea the internal design, function, form, or how they work... Oh please teach me all you know... :rolleyes:
Your posts reflects ignorance. Why would claim the scopes are to high if you know all about them. I'm not going argue with you about it, you know it all and I don't.

Your posts reflects ignorance. Why would claim the scopes are to high if you know all about them. I'm not going argue with you about it, you know it all and I don't.

I never said I knew all about the optics. And I definitely do not know it all...As much as I wish I did. I realize that I never will know it all, and everyone learns something new everyday. Just like I learned that nobody on here has a sense of humor.

I DO know about holo's, red dots, and ACOGs. But I don't own any AR's with traditional scope setups on them. I just said it looked funny with the scope sitting that high, and everyone got all butthurt and decided they should "school me". It was supposed to be a joke, and everyone took it as serious and literal. So, my apologies to the butthurt, I won't be making anymore attempts at humor.

I never said I knew all about the optics. I DO know about holo's, red dots, and ACOGs. But I don't own any AR's with traditional scope setups on them. I just said it looked funny with the scope sitting that high, and everyone got all butthurt and decided they should "school me". It was supposed to be a joke, and everyone took it as serious and literal.
Again your posting and slamming something you know nothing about, alot of guys probably looked at the photo and said to themselves "that looks just like my AR, what the heck is he talking about"......

Warning! This thread is more than 10 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Recent Posts