Scope for tikka t3x

.308. In the next few years probably 100-300 yards, however in the future I do plan to extend that number up to 600 yards.
get the leupold from euro optics with talley rings

Screenshot_20230323_123051_Gallery.jpg

Last edited:
I'm not sure I'd assume around 50 yards
My opinion, you would prefer to have a 4x for the close shots more than you would want the 16x for other situations. If you have a friend with a setup similar to what you are looking at, try theirs and form your own conclusion. Zoom the scope to 6x and shoulder it, taking note of ease or difficult spotting your target at 50 yards.

I don't know if or why you want FFP for this application, but that's up to you. If I were in your shoes, I would go with a Leupold VX3HD 3.5-10. The 40mm or 50mm would be up to your budget, but either would serve your purpose.

My opinion, you would prefer to have a 4x for the close shots more than you would want the 16x for other situations. If you have a friend with a setup similar to what you are looking at, try theirs and form your own conclusion. Zoom the scope to 6x and shoulder it, taking note of ease or difficult spotting your target at 50 yards.

I don't know if or why you want FFP for this application, but that's up to you. If I were in your shoes, I would go with a Leupold VX3HD 3.5-10. The 40mm or 50mm would be up to your budget, but either would serve your purpose.
3x9x40 3.5x10x50 MAX
diamondbacks are bulky!

the leupold is way nicer!

way plenty for a light weight rig!

I agree, perfect fit for a tikka 308. This buck didnt like the tikka 308, leupold 3.5-10 combo....

Attachments

• Screenshot_20230323_134159_Gallery.jpg
    Screenshot_20230323_134159_Gallery.jpg
    370 KB · Views: 27
I too prefer 3x on the bottom end of the magnification range. My boys and I have killed lots of deer, elk, javelina on 3x at distances up to 120ish yards.

I've never used more than 10-12x magnification (even when I could dial up more) out to 500 yards.

After a couple years of calling coyotes, my go-to coyote rifle now wears a 2-10x42 and I love the 2x on the low end.

I'd be uncomfortable with a scope with 6x on the low end unless I just absolutely knew all shots would be over 200 yards.

Hey there, was wondering which scope you think is better for the tikka T3x.

The vortex diamondback 4-16x44 or the 6-24x50.

I just bought my first hunting rifle, having never still hunt deer before. Wondering if it will be hard to see out of the 4-16x44. Or the 6-24x50 will be too big?
I have a Vortex Viper PST 6x24x50 and when I usually have the power turned down to 9 or 10 until I see something out a few hundred yards. Turning the power down will give you a quick aquisition with a generous eye relief...

There is a 3-12 Crossfire tactical on the 30-06 altralite, for a cheap scope it has served me well for over five years.
The 6.5x55 has a 4-16 diamondback tactical on it. About the most scope I'd put on a T3.
The 338Fed is my high/rough country unit and will be gettiing a 1-6 LPVO before long.
You can turn them up and get by but too much power too close doesnt usually end well.

I agree with the votes for fixed power swfa. No better reliable bang for your buck. Get one of those and some sportsmatch rings and you're set.

I go for as low of power I can get with a top of around 18x. For what you are planning on doing....my pick of Vortex would be Viper 2.5-10x44 SFP. Great value and quality of scope for the price. Non Vortex Leupold VX3 2.5-8.

You can add me to the list of those that think a 3.5-10x40 with illuminated Firedot VX-3HD would be a fine choice for hunting between 50 and 600 yards, especially since you state that 600 yard shots won't be occurring immediately. I've been using old VX-3s for over 20 years, and a couple year old VX-3i, and they've never let me down.

I've got more than a few Vortex optics, but for hunting, the light weight Leupold would be tough to beat for the price.

Thanks! And it's .308. Live down here in SC so there's nice rolling hills and pines. Also plan to take it to the mountains at some point to hunt up there. And furthest shot would be 600 yards.
If you are seriously considering shooting at game out to 600 yards, and assuming you are budgeting an amount close to the cost of the two scopes you mentioned, I would go with a an SWFA 6X or an SWFA 3-9 so you can dial. If you will actually likely be keeping hunting shots within 300 yards, I would look at a variable that is no lower than 2X on the low end and in the 7 to 10X range on the high end (2-7, 2.5-8, 3-9, 3.5-10, etc).

Just an FYI in case you want to keep your rifle light — a 2.5-8 Leupold is about a half pound lighter than a 3-9 SWFA. You can save another couple ounces over the Leupold by going with the SWFA 2.5-10 Ultralight (no exposed dial).