Scope for tikka t3 6.5x55?

Blackwater25

I posted this earlier, but only one person replied, so I figured I'd try again to get some more feedback.

I just bought a t3 lite stainless in 6.5x55 and plan on learning the fundamentals of long range shooting with this rifle ( I know it's not heavy enough to be considered a serious long range rifle, but I wanted something I can pack too).

I just need to figure out which scope to buy within 300-600 dollar range that would be good for targets/hunting medium-sized game 100-1000yards/meters max? Any input is greatly appreciated.

P.S. I did found a Leupold Mk 4 LR/t 3.5-10x40 M3 for around 570.00. Is this a good deal? If this deal is no longer available by the time I can afford it, are there any other comparable scopes within that price range? Super Sniper 10x perhaps???

I don't know enough about your cartridge...I would have to look at my books. I think it is about a .260 win. class cartridge....maybe just a little more velocity....I do have 2 T3's in .243 though. As you know the factory rings suck. I have Talleys on one of my rifles with a Leupy 4.5x14x40 30mm w/ side parallex varmint hunter ret. It is a great shooting rifle. I can get 1 1/4" groups at 200 yds with factory Winchester ammo. It would not be my ideal rifle for long range shooting due to the lousy stock and light weight. It is a great light-weight carry rifle.
As for the MK IV scope that sounds like a good deal if it is in good condition. I have one on my .308 Win sniper rifle. I have since bought 2 Nightforce scopes which I prefer over the Leupy.
By the way, I was occupied loading ammo for my .338 Edge...so don't get discouraged if you don't get a reply right away.
Take a look at Dednutz base/rings for your rifle too. Don't buy a crappy scope. The T3 a decent rifle, just doesn't settle well. good luck,

I have a T3 SS/laminate 6.5x55 Tikka...my glass is a Nikon 3-12 Monarch mounted in Burris Signature rings and using Leo two pc turn in bases....the factory T3 rings are junk...hopefully you are going to handload...RE22 & H4831sc are two good powders to use...Lapua brass is wonderful...Win & Rem brass are also OK...many good bullets to choose from....my Swede likes the 140 NPTs...140 Rem CLs....130 NABs...120 NBTs.....take your pick ! Back to glass...Nikon Monarchs like my 3-12 can be fitted with tall target towers that are very user friendly in the field for LR shooting...I have my Swede calibrated out to 600 yds with a drop chart taped to the stock...using 130 NABs....the Monarch series from 5-20 & up have three sets of towers included with the scope...the Nikon Monarch is a great mid ranged priced scope...using the rifle for game would suggest a variable opposed to the fixed series as the SS Sniper....the 6.5x55 is a grand ole cartridge..older than the 30-06 and overlooked by many.....its been called 'Old School' or 'An Old Man's gun'...

Last edited:
I have 2 6.5x 55 i've had really good success with the 4x14 zeiss conquest although the tube is only a 1" I still have no issue attaining 1000 yard mark. As far as a budget scope that is tough and has a FFP optic i'd try a falcon menace. Also theirs a W O tac optic thats gotten pretty good reviews but i don't personally own 1, sniper central has reviews on these.prices range from 500 to 1200 on zeiss ,375 to 450 on falcons and around 300 dollars on wo tac. also falcon is releasing a new 5-25x50 at the end of may, preliminary price estimates around 600ish hope this helps:)

I have Ziess Diavari 3-12x56 with mildot reticle w/o illumination on my T3 hunter 6.5x55SE

This scope feels a bit heavy on this light rifle but it's very bright and a pleasure to use. Before I had Bushnell elite 3200, 10x40 w. mildot but that now feels like cheap gimmick in comparison.

Though the zeiss costs 7 times the bushnell I do recommend it and I don't regret purchasing it.

I have a Leupold VX-II 6-18 40mm on a Tikka T3 .22-250. Not a bad thing to say about either the rifle or the scope. So far, just explored the rifle/scope capability out to 300 yards. Good results; groups run about fist sized (I have small hands). :D

Warning! This thread is more than 15 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.