scope for the poor man

I was thinking that something also must be very different from the model that I'm talking about compared to the one that is sold by the company today. I bought two of them that were on the clearance table back in the mid-90's..all my shooting buddies laughed when I told them what I bought and they were $149.00 at Grice's gun shoppe..sad part is there were 4 or 5 other ones that sat there for months before they were all gone.. I wish now that I should have bought them all... I also am amazed at the repeatability and clearness for $149.00

Howdy,,It's been awhile since I was here last.Nice place to get valued info.

Ok,I just built a new savage in 223 with bull barrel..I have been playing around
doing some open f t/r shooting at 250 yards..But might be going out a little
farther..Like to 500 yards..

Being on a fixed income,I am looking for something a little better than my present
BSA scope..It works great and all that,but I would like one some what more clear.
So if anyone has any good ideas,please pass them along..Thanks-Johnlightbulb

John,

My recommendation will take you to the top of your price but the scopes are hands down the best value for the money. Look at the Vortex Viper 6.5-20x44. CameralandNY has open box specials for $279 and many times you can find then used on the boards for $300 with BDC or Mildot retices.

Take a serious look at the open box Vortex.

God Bless,

Paul

I looked and did not see anything called open box...Maybe I am not understanding what you mean by this..They are nice scopes..I appreciate your information about them...John

John,

My recommendation will take you to the top of your price but the scopes are hands down the best value for the money. Look at the Vortex Viper 6.5-20x44. CameralandNY has open box specials for $279 and many times you can find then used on the boards for $300 with BDC or Mildot retices.

Take a serious look at the open box Vortex.

God Bless,

Paul

I think hands down the Vortex is your best bet; just have to sacrifice your wish to have 24+ mag. You'll be very pleased, it's a good scope!

What about a Weaver T36? I've had a few and I've never paid more than $300 for one. They're great for target of varmint work. The downside is the limited field of view.

Andrew

I looked and did not see anything called open box...Maybe I am not understanding what you mean by this..They are nice scopes..I appreciate your information about them...John

Here's a link. Vortex - Camera Land NY

They may not use that term per se, it's just what came to mind. I have a 6.5-20x50 Mildot that I found used at snipershide for $350 shipped IIRC and I love it.

Paul

Here's a link. Vortex - Camera Land NY

They may not use that term per se, it's just what came to mind. I have a 6.5-20x50 Mildot that I found used at snipershide for $350 shipped IIRC and I love it.

Paul

Perhaps you meant demo (display items). The only thing I don't like the Viper line is its eye relief (3.1-3.3").

The newly redesigned Crossfire II 6-18x44 is within your price range (Vortex - Camera Land NY) and has 3.7-4.3" of eye relief (Vortex Optics - Crossfire II 6-18x44 AO V-Plex)

Good luck!

Last edited:
I sure appreciate all your replies and suggestions..

It has givin me a lot to go on and study on...Only thing
I think I really would like is the fine cross hair as these
targets have a small bulls eye,,and the dot covers it..

Tomorrow I have to go see the heart doctor,so I aint
gonna do anything until I find out what he has to say..

Again I really appreciate your replies...John

I sure appreciate all your replies and suggestions..

It has givin me a lot to go on and study on...Only thing
I think I really would like is the fine cross hair as these
targets have a small bulls eye,,and the dot covers it..

Tomorrow I have to go see the heart doctor,so I aint
gonna do anything until I find out what he has to say..

Again I really appreciate your replies...John

tomorrow I go in for the heart catherization to see what is going on with this old bastard....Buy the good Lord willing I am still gonna be looking at the scopes you guys mentioned....Thanks again...John

tomorrow I go in for the heart catherization to see what is going on with this old bastard....Buy the good Lord willing I am still gonna be looking at the scopes you guys mentioned....Thanks again...John

I hope so to John. Nothing is more important than what you're facing. I'll pray but above all remember, Jesus is the final answer.

See you in a few days!!

Paul

hope its good news on the heart.

i really love my nikon buckmasters 6-18. living in NW PA, its hard to justify a scope higher than a 6x low setting, so the big glass was ruled out of my choice. 18x with this clear glass and the 1/8" clicks makes 600+yd much easier shooting than id ever imagined. it might be a little high in price, but if i was looking at spending 250 bucks on a scope, id be watching classifieds for a better quality used piece than a mediocre new one. but thats my opinion is all:D

Well..Back from the heart catherizian..This is the scond one I have had and it's the first time they went in thru my wrist..And it had to be the right on at that..Oh well..Got a pretty positive report.so now they want me to go see a lung doctor...

Maybe too many stupid years of smoking..I go there on Monday....

But on a more happier note,my boys bought me a new scope....

Yep It's a Weaver T-36 I was really surprised at that...I guess I ought
to be able to see the target as well as bullet holes with it...

Guess I will let you know about the next Doctor appointment if you
interested...Thanks John

Warning! This thread is more than 12 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.