scope for the poor man

savagelover

Howdy,,It's been awhile since I was here last.Nice place to get valued info.

Ok,I just built a new savage in 223 with bull barrel..I have been playing around
doing some open f t/r shooting at 250 yards..But might be going out a little
farther..Like to 500 yards..

Being on a fixed income,I am looking for something a little better than my present
BSA scope..It works great and all that,but I would like one some what more clear.
So if anyone has any good ideas,please pass them along..Thanks-Johnlightbulb

Hey John, could use a little more info; what type of budget, for what purpose (target or hunting) say 500yds tops?

Hey John, could use a little more info; what type of budget, for what purpose (target or hunting) say 500yds tops?

I suppose it will be maily for target shooting and crow snipeing....I hate to spend more than 300 bucks..I know I probably should try to save more up but the meds.I take are pretty pricey as well..Retired and disabled dozer operators don't get much..

I appreciate any ideas or suggestions..Like I said the BSA isn't bad for what I paid for it..I would like at least a 24 x or a little more...gun)

I think Swift would be a step up from BSA. You can check them (Swift 8-32x50 Premier Rifle Scope) at SWFA. Recoil shouldn't be a problem with your gun. You might check out some other brands as well. A dimmer sight picture at high magnification will probably be the biggest drawback but that is common for the lower priced lines. See what you think, and best of luck.

Bill

I put a Bushnell e3940sf (side focus) limited editions on a recent 22lr I purchased as it was a good deal. It was on sale for $200 less the $75 rebate = heck of a deal IMO. The scope is excellent for the money. I kind of feel guilty having in on my XT22VR. Yes, it's made in China but most of the good ones in the $2-300 range will be. It is very clear, has Bushnell's excellent rainguard, and a life time warranty. You can find them for $250 (check adorama.com) and I'd say they're worth that. Side by side with a VX-1 I'd say it's just a bit better (yes...I'll probably get flammed for that). There's really a lot of good glass (I didn't say great) in your price range. You can get some of the Leupolds for that kind of money, and you'll be happy with them as well. BTW, if you prefer not to have the side focus, they have it without. They also have a fixed 10x40 with target turrets, and mil-dot for just a little more if you're interested in that type. Also, you could play SWFA.com's price matching game and get it for a little less as they have them in stock right now. Good luck!

Last edited:
There are some Weaver variable power scopes that look awefully good. Last I looked at had an illuminated reticule that turned on via a small button on the objective lens. Looked good...felt good too...!

There are some Weaver variable power scopes that look awefully good. Last I looked at had an illuminated reticule that turned on via a small button on the objective lens. Looked good...felt good too...!

Another that comes to mind is Mueller (Mueller Rifle scopes). I've heard lots of good about them as far as getting a lot for your $$$. I will add that I've never looked through one yet, however.

There are a number of good choices as long as they meet your specs. Lot of good sales on right now too.

Bill

Not sure if it's made anymore but Tasco made a model called the World Class Plus a few moons ago and it was about $150, 10-40 power non the less.. bought one and still in use today.. never had a problem with it and it's clear, bright and stays and adjusts without ever having any problem..

Hey there my friend just had the same deal you do. He went from bsa6x24 to the Redfield revenge 6-18. Scope is fantastic for the price, fineplex retical really make long shots nice.

Not sure if it's made anymore but Tasco made a model called the World Class Plus a few moons ago and it was about $150, 10-40 power non the less.. bought one and still in use today.. never had a problem with it and it's clear, bright and stays and adjusts without ever having any problem..

got one of those in the garbage can out back...had it about a week I guess is all..Will not adjust to the right any more..???????

Here's my son with the model I'm talking about, he won a lot of long range groundhog matches with his and that's adjusting 100-300-500 yards constantly...and this scope is still hanging in there.
BULLjuly07008.jpg

Frank / Laurels , those World Class Plus Tascos were made in Taiwan maybe 10 or 15 years ago and only for a short time . Optics were very good , but I never saw them for $150 ..... saw them at Pa. shows for around $225 to $250 . Had a friend who always laughed at Tascos until he tried one ....then put it on his Sako Varminter . These are nothing like todays Chinese Tascos . I still have one new in Box . The Nikon Buckmaster 6-18X available today has Optics way beyond its price point .

Warning! This thread is more than 12 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Recent Posts