Scope for new project

bm1956

Hello Gentleman -

I am in the process of building my new coyote slayer. I am around alot of country that gets called alot. I am always working on my calling but I always have dogs hang up at 500 to 700 yards. My new 6.5x284 needs some glasses. I have been looking at the 5.5x22x56 NF. I really like it but I dont think I need that much. If I could get some advise it would be appreciated. Or maybe another brand would be better? Thanks

What do you mean by "that much"? Too much power? Too much money? If you don't need a scope that goes to 22x, I'm sure you can find a model that suits your needs. If $1800 on a scope is too rich for your blood, as it is mine, look at Sightron, Nikon, Bushnell, Leupold or Vortex.

How long do they hold up for? Do you usually have time to make adjustments for drop or would a drop reticle work better? I haven't spent too much time calling dogs but thought I would throw it out there. Less movement too.

There is a coyote hunting section here. This section gets a lot of traffic, so a guru will probably answer it here though.

Thanks 3fingervic and Moman-

What I ment by to much was the 5.5x22 or would I be better to go to a 3.5x15? I dont want to mess up my close shots but I still want to be percise at 700 +.

As far as the hold up Moman they will usally just sit down and bark. So there is alot of time to make adjustments.

Thanks for the input. Bigger is better right? I think the 5.5x22 would be better choice for the longer shots. I just did'nt want to get myself in a pickle.

Have you looked at the Meopta Meostar 4-16 x 50 mm. I have (2) of these scopes and that's one for me. It is one of the brightest/sharpest scopes on the market and priced right for what you get, If interested contact Euro-Optic and ask for Alex you won't be disappointed. Good luck!

The thing I don't like about these high end scopes is there lack of warranty. EJN, nothing against the Meopta, but they make you pay for a 3 or a 5 year protection plan. If you spend a $1000 dollars on a scope, IMO, it should have a lifetime warranty.

I just received the new Mepota brochure , they have a full lifetime warranty with no 3-5 years BS attached. You might give EURO-OPITC or Meopta a call tomorrow and see for your self. Good luck..

EJN

I would stick to the lower mag scope, when they come in close and are moving you don't need to be any higher than you can get away with. 14-15 power is more than enough to make any shot you could take on a coyote, especially with a good optic like a Nightforce.

I just received the new Mepota brochure , they have a full lifetime warranty with no 3-5 years BS attached. You might give EURO-OPITC or Meopta a call tomorrow and see for your self. Good luck..

EJN

That's good to hear. When I did a search on those scopes, I saw that. It may have been the online "store" trying to squeeze a little more out of the consumer. This is what I saw.

Meopta | 3-12x56 Meostar R1 Red Dot Riflescope - Matte | 706590

I like the 4.5-14x40 Buckmaster Nikon. It is about a tenth the cost of a NF and will do all you ask of it. At 14x groundhogs are a little difficult to see. I did scope a yote with it once at 950yrds and there were no problems lining up on the shoulder. Not to mention light gathering and clarity at long range at 14x is quite good for a $230 scope. If you can get the NF go for it. Set the scope on 10x and take them at any range. I tell you the Vortex PST and Viper line would be an awesome option as well. As long as you have some good variability in the adjustment, any 4- to what ever or 6- to what ever should be fine. Just make sure if it has any type of ballistic reticule that you know how your holding points change with the power adjustment.

Tank

Warning! This thread is more than 15 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.