Scope for Long Range

BT_1224

Hey guys I'm wanting to put a scope on my new .300 Win Mag that I can use for long range hunting/shooting. I'm seriously considering getting the new Vortex Razor HD LHT 3-15x50. I'd like to know if anyone has any experience with this particular model. As well, I'd also like to know what y'all use/prefer as well. Thanks

I have a sig tango6 3-18 I love it, went on a backcountry elk hunt with my brother in October in Colorado. As much as I love that scope and my rifle it was to heavy for the purpose. You really have to define your philosophy of use; many people like me want a long range scope to go to 1000+ with and also hunt only to find their rig is too heavy for the backcountry. What is your purpose? Razors are nice scopes but heavy like my sig scope. If you want to hunt you may want to check the weight.

I have a sig tango6 3-18 I love it, went on a backcountry elk hunt with my brother in October in Colorado. As much as I love that scope and my rifle it was to heavy for the purpose. You really have to define your philosophy of use; many people like me want a long range scope to go to 1000+ with and also hunt only to find their rig is too heavy for the backcountry. What is your purpose? Razors are nice scopes but heavy like my sig scope. If you want to hunt you may want to check the weight.
Razor LHT is anything but heavy. It is 20.5oz.

3-15x is plenty for hunting a long ways out. Probably as far as you can shoot and have the velocity and KE for on-game performance. Went steel shooting this morning, 6CM w. 15x at 1060 on 8" steel was no problem. 6.5SLR and 25SST w. 20x did not seem any better or easier.

Last edited:
I had one on a lightweight 6.5 saum that I sold to my brother. Optically it was very good, had some fisheye at the bottom end of the zoom but it was gone by 5X. It tracked perfect, no problems there. The illumination was so-so, but at least it's standard and your not paying extra for it. When you hold one it doesn't have the feel of a NF or a Kahles (or any other alpha type glass) The turret has some slop in the lock/unlock. All that being said it held zero this fall and my brother isn't easy on anything. I'm not a huge vortex fan but I would buy another one if I wanted a scope in that weight range.

The Razor LHT is about as good as it gets for a lightweight yet long range capable scope. I have 3 and have flogged the turrets trying to get them to fail, but they've been perfect. They even stack up well against my high dollar March and NX8's

Mighty hard to beat a NightForce! If you want a lighter one, go with the SHV. The NXS line is great and has plenty of come ups for long range. So does the ATACR. You can find a lot of the NF scopes, used but like new , on this forum at reasonable prices. Go to NF's web site for full intel.

Just bought the 1.5-15x42 March. The LHT is a great scope. Hard to beat for the price.

I had an LHT and couldn't get over the tunneling and finicky eye box.
The vx5 hd is quite a bit better in my opinion

Warning! This thread is more than 4 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.