Scope for Hunting and Target

ctimgo

I am looking for a scope that is good for hunting out to 500 and target out to 1000. I would like it to be light and clear. Any info would be appreciated. I have never even looked through a high end scope but I do have a Vortex Viper now. Will high end scopes be worth the extra money compared to the Vortex I already have? Thanks

I am looking for a scope that is good for hunting out to 500 and target out to 1000. I would like it to be light and clear. Any info would be appreciated. I have never even looked through a high end scope but I do have a Vortex Viper now. Will high end scopes be worth the extra money compared to the Vortex I already have? Thanks

You can't hit what you can't see ... can you clearly see the 1000 yard target with your current scope?

Yep. I think it is good but I don't have any high end scope that I have looked through to compare it to. I could be missing a lot. I'm not a name brand person. I don't care about the name as long as it performs like I need it to. I am in the process of selling a couple guns to do one gun that is a do it all. I had an ar10 in 308 that I used for hunting and I have a Savage 10fp in 6Dasher that I use for long range but have sold the ar10 and am trying to sell the 6Dasher. Already used the money from the ar10 to buy another ar in 260remington so I was thinking of using some of the money from the 6Dasher to get a high end scope but I don't know much about any of them.

I would like ffp and in the $1000 range. mil/mil or moa/moa. I have only ever used moa turrets and mil-dot reticles before so I would like to get matching this time. I know this isn't going to get me into the upper high end but it will get my toes wet and I am ok with getting used.

O.k......You gave more information...which helps. For $1,000 in FFP....you can find some deals on Bushnell tactical, Vortex Viper PST FFP 6-24X and Sightron has a FFP S III but I'm not sure what the prices run on those. I guess there are also some who have gotten Burris tactical scopes and like them....that would probably also work with your budget. If you're used to moa...maybe consider staying with that. I'm in the process of switching over to MRAD....and it can get a little confusing at first.

If you could stretch your budget a bit...This would be hands down your best value:

http://www.eurooptic.com/vortex-raz...1-moa-25-moa-turrets-35mm-tube-rzr-52003.aspx

I got my PST FFP from here:
http://www.cameralandny.com/optics/vortex.pl?page=vortexviperpst6-24x50ffp
They have open box MRAD for $799.99...which I got an open box and couldn't tell it wasn't brand new.

That's a great scope for sure....but you said you wanted FFP. If that's the case....the SHV is SFP. To go with a FFP from NightForce you'd need to step up to the ATACR F1.

Such as this:
Nightforce ATACR 5-25x56 F1 - FREE Shipping

Now the ATACR F1 would be up there with top tier scopes.....It would last you your lifetime and then some. I was trying to give you examples of FFP scopes at, or very near, your $1,000 budget.

Good Luck....There are still some excellent scopes to pick from within your budget.

Thanks. Will the glass on the Vortex be as good as the nightforce? Will the glass on the Vortex Viper be as good as the glass on the pst or lr model? Is the extra money just for the features? I also noticed that the burris is 32oz and the Vortex lr model is 22oz. Will I notice the 10oz on a long hike through the woods? Weight is a factor but is 10oz going to even be noticable?

Thanks. Will the glass on the Vortex be as good as the nightforce? Will the glass on the Vortex Viper be as good as the glass on the pst or lr model? Is the extra money just for the features? I also noticed that the burris is 32oz and the Vortex lr model is 22oz. Will I notice the 10oz on a long hike through the woods? Weight is a factor but is 10oz going to even be noticable?

I've not had a chance to look through a NightForce SHV or ATACR F1. Obviously the F1 would have extremely nice glass and coatings....it would stand out against the PST and the SHV. But the F1 is in the top tier grouping and the $2800 price tag reflects that. The 6-24X PST is reported to have the best optical quality of the PST line. I find it very acceptable.....especially for the money. It probably is a tick or two lower than a NightForce but the price reflects that as well. If you want something that compares almost equally to say a NightForce NXS.....then I would recommend the Sightron S III. Side by side the S III and the NXS I used to own were extremely close in terms of brightness, color rendition and clarity.

The weight issue....only you can be the most accurate judge of that...unfortunately. For me....I have other priorities...such as robust internals, accurate/repeatable turrets etc. If you're trying to maintain a 6-7 lb rifle package....then the 10 ounces is going to matter....otherwise not too big a deal.

Warning! This thread is more than 9 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Recent Posts