Scope for Elk hunting

Texas sniper

I'm going on my second elk hunt this year and need some opinions on a scope. I took two guns last year one mounted with a Burris xtr and one with a sightron s3. I love both of these scopes but had the turrets move in the saddle scabbard on both. So to the point, here's what I need. Budget is around $1k. At least 20x magnification. Need turrets that I can dial but they need to be lockable or capped. Optical quality is always a plus but for this project durability is more important. Thanks for your help.

I'm going on my second elk hunt this year and need some opinions on a scope. I took two guns last year one mounted with a Burris xtr and one with a sightron s3. I love both of these scopes but had the turrets move in the saddle scabbard on both. So to the point, here's what I need. Budget is around $1k. At least 20x magnification. Need turrets that I can dial but they need to be lockable or capped. Optical quality is always a plus but for this project durability is more important. Thanks for your help.
its a little more money but I like the leupold vx5 4-20 should do everything you want and more

How about the Steiner GS3 4-20x50 - 4A? We've got it on sale for only $749.99, reduced from $1,099.99
The Steiner GS3 "game sensing" scope utilizes exclusive CAT (color adjusted transmission) lens coatings to amplify contrast in the peak human vision sensitivity range. The optimized contrast effectively separates game from leafy or shadow-dappled backgrounds, exposing your target to a clean, accurate shot. And the GS3 5x zoom range lets hunters from eastern whitetail country to western big game ranges pair their new scope with their favorite centerfire, rimfire or muzzleloader rifle. And or course, Steiner's bedrock reliability will always deliver unfailing performance, whatever firearm or target you prefer.

Versatile enough for prairie dogs, big game or the bean field.

• Magnification 4x-20x
  • Tube Diameter 30mm
  • Length 16.4
  • Weight 28.2 oz
  • Item no. 5012 (4A)
New 5x Zoom Range
provides sharp resolution at long distances for more accurate shooting for wide open areas.

CAT™ Color Adjusted Transmission
amplifies contrast in the peak human vision sensitivity range, to spot game in any environment.

Steiner 4A Reticle
provides a simple, uncluttered aiming tool

Short Mounting Length
of just 5.4 inches for mounting on short actions, muzzleloaders or lightweight mountain rifles.

Rugged 30mm Tube
milled from solid aluminum stock so there are no welds or seams, for greater strength and durability.

Waterproof/Fogproof
durable construction you can trust to stand up to any cold or wet condition.

Field of View at 100 meters25.8 - 5.5
Eye Relief3.5 - 4.3 in.
Exit Pupil11.0 - 2.5 mm
Length14.9 in.
Weight28.2 oz.
Diopter Adjustment Range+2 to -3
Elevation Adjustment KnobResettable Zero
Wind/Elevation Click Value1/4 MOA
Elevation Range at 100 m.64 MOA
Wind Range at 100 m.48 MOA
Parallax/FocusSide Focus
Parallax/Focus Range164 ft. to infinity
Nitrogen FilledYes
Waterproof/FogproofYes
Special FeaturesCAT™ Color Adjusted Transmission Coatings
WarrantyLifetime Heritage Warranty

Thanks for the info. I'm going to look into all of these. Hey gr8tful, do you know what the turrets look like on the Steiner? Couldn't find a picture of them exposed.

I am out of the store today, however, if you call the store and speak with Jeff or Joel just ask them to take a picture with the caps removed and e-mail it to you
516-217-1000

Sig Whiskey 5-25 and Bushnell Forge 4.5-27 are two options. Both have zero stops and locking turrets. W5 has a capped windage turret.

I have the W5, and it's outstanding. Might be a little over your budget, but with a good coupon code, or savvy shopping, could probably be had around $1100. Only issue is that it's 2nd focal plane only. Has a sweet built in level, good hashed reticle, and illumination. The glass is VERY good, and it's quite compact (though not particularly light weight).

The Forge might be hard to come by, as I think they're in the process of being discontinued. They come in SFP and FFP. The only flaw I can find is no illumination, particularly bad for the FFP, as the reticle is tiny and hard to see at low power. If it had illumination, you could use it like a red dot for "up close" work.

Warning! This thread is more than 5 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.