Scope for ar15 for coyote hunting?

joelpresmyk8

Hey everyone, I am about to buy an ar15 in 223 And I'm curious what kind of scope I should get to hunt coyotes under 300 yards. On a tight budget also so just need something to get me by.
Thanx everyone

how tight of budget are you talking? I have vortex viper 6.5-20x44 that i love. THat was $400 I actually shot my first coyote with it tonight. I also have a nikon coyote special with bdc reticle on a .204 ruger that works extremely well.

For -300yd work, you don't really need zillion dollar 20x glass. A simple 3x9 with almost any reticle will get you to 300yds if you do your part. A 4x12 or higher is pretty common for a yote rifle, but there's not all that much need with in 300yds. You'll get more scope for your dollar if you find the best "basic" glass you can. Shelling out a bunch of extra cash for target turrets and illuminated reticles with all the bells and whistles won't get you as far as simple but good quality glass will. Just don't "cheap out" on your glass.

For some "tight budget" means less than $2000, for others it's less than $200, so answers will vary a bit. The AR I use for calling wears a Luepold Mark AR 3x9 duplex reticle, with off-set irons for surprise close-ups. 300 isn't tough, the limiting factor is more me than the glass. It's nothing fancy, and it was pretty cheap, but it's preforms great, and it's made in the USA. I'll toss in a vote for the Vortex Viper line as well, they offer a lot of scope for the money and the no questions asked warrantee is a plus.

It depends on how much magnification you want. . For me, for moving targets or stationary I like a center dot reticle. The SWFA 1-4×24 is on introductory sale right now for 300$ . It has a lot of bells and whistles for 300$ . If you are calling coyotes and generally get them in closer than 300 . Even closer than 200 yards then 4 power is plenty
Seems a lot more coyote are killed at under 60 yards than over 200 yards.

how tight of budget are you talking? I have vortex viper 6.5-20x44 that i love. THat was $400 I actually shot my first coyote with it tonight. I also have a nikon coyote special with bdc reticle on a .204 ruger that works extremely well.

Ditto Here! 6.5X20X44 Vortex Viper BDC... $299 on sale 3 months ago at Sportsmans Warehouse. Shooting around 1/4" groups every time at 100 yards Bushmaster AR Varminter 24 inch Fluted Heavy barrel 1 in 9 twist 69-70-72 grain bullets ...Shooting 3 inch steel at 300 yards...I also shoot quite a few crows at 300 + yards.

Warning! This thread is more than 10 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.