Scope for 800 yards.

dandansaz

Hi, I just placed an order for my first magnum rifle which is a Sako 85 Long range. Request senior members for advice on a rifle scope for 800 yards within 1000$.

I think if you provide more information....Like Feenix has recommended....you'll start receiving some answers. Just too many variables to consider with a broad set of parameters like shooting to 800 yards. Paper versus hunting are different enough that recommendations are difficult.

Hi, I just placed an order for my first magnum rifle which is a Sako 85 Long range. Request senior members for advice on a rifle scope for 800 yards within 1000$.

If you have eyes like an eagle you can get by with something that tops out a 12X. Otherwise you should go for a top magnification of at least 20X and 25X would not be too much to me. If you are punching paper, FFP would definitely not be something I would even consider. For hunting, if you have a range finder you don't need the FFP scope.

Low light might be a consideration if you are going to hunt with it. Both my hunting scopes have 52mm objectives. They allow for a few more minutes of verifying over lesser scopes of the same quality lens.

Thx for the suggestions. My only use is hunting and that also would be for Ibex, Markhor,Nilgai and Marco polo sheep.

One more thing most of the hunting here is within 300 to 500 yards. I am using a Meopro with a BDC reticle on top of 308 Tikka and the longest shot was an Ibex taken at 363yds. So I want to try hunting turrets with a plex reticle. Presently looking at Zeiss ASV!

I am sure you know , but the sako long range is a tank if you plan on packing it. I had one with a swaro z5 3.5-18 and it was over 11 lbs and that's with a light scope.

I did notice the extra weight but considering the caliber and an excuse to hit the gym I just went for it. BTW thanks for reminding me.

the zeiss asv+ system has three different rings limited to 600 yds with mag rounds, but you can modify your turret marker with labels to add marks. The victory ht 2.5-10x50 has incredibly bright and clear optics, it is certainly good enough for hunting to 800 or beyond (not the best for lr bench rest but fine for the hunting you describe).

Warning! This thread is more than 9 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.