Scope for 50 cal muzzle stuffer?

Gunpoor

I have a Knight Disc Magnum that has never been hunted with and shot very little. Here in Kansas they finally passed a law a couple years ago that will allow hunters to use a scope on their muzzle loader. I don't need a super-duper piece of glass on this rifle but do need something that will handle the recoil it produces and be able to see well enough to make 200 yard shots. What do you black powder affectionados recommend? I think I would enjoy shooting it more with a scope mounted on it.

Hopefully someone using one of the marked reticle scopes will chime in. I'm looking to put one on my encore, but need something that can draw in first and last hour light. My Leupys lately have disappointed me which makes me question the Ultimateslam with SABR reticle. I don't have much experience with the Nikon/ Bushnell scopes.

Kfrye, I have used Nikon scopes on centerfire rifles and have had no problems with them at all. I had one mounted on a 338RUM for about ten years and about a hundred rounds of full power loads without issue. I was looking on opticsplanet the other day at a Nikon muzzleloader scope they offer, but I am not ready to make the plunge just yet. BTW. a buddy of mine bought a new Leupold scope for his 45/70 levergun and is disappointed with the optics so you are not alone in your thoughts on Luepys. I might just put a Nikon Prostaff scope from wally world on the Knight as I had one on a 270Win once and though I was ready to move the rifle I wish I would have kept the scope.

I have a Nikon Monarch 5-16x44 on my Knight Disc Elite .45 cal and Savage 10ML II. Both have performed very well. They track well and are holding up just fine. I was shooting out to 300 yards and dialing in the elevation and windage for each shot. The scope did it's job and the shots were dead on. I returned the adjustment back to my 100 yards setting and added another shot to the group.

I have a Burris FFII with Ballistic Reticle on my Knight Disc Elite .50 cal. The gun is ok for accuracy and the scope works well to 200 yards.

My Omega .50 cal has a Kahles 3-10x50 with Ballistic Reticle. It's my best setup and the reticle works well with my load at 100, 150, 200, 250, and 300 yards. At 10x, the 300 yard group is about 4" lower than the point of aim, but it's still a dead elk.

The more I think about it, the more I am leaning towards a Vortex Viper. The clarity on a Viper I had was awesome, way better than the VX-III I had at the time. They also have the BDC reticle in their scopes too.

Warning! This thread is more than 14 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.